Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport mode access or switchport mode trunk to connect ASA

Ranbeckycr_2
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

I have a question, I have a Cisco Pix 515e running 8.0(2) do you recommend setting the switchport to trunk or access?

I would like to know the recommended approach, randomly, I can't access the firewall and then we need to reboot the PIX.  (maybe is the pix)

Current Interface Config:

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative Mode: dynamic desirable

Operational Mode: static access

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: native

Negotiation of Trunking: On

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Voice VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan host-association: none

Administrative private-vlan mapping: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q

Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk private VLANs: none

Operational private-vlan: none

Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

Capture Mode Disabled

Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL

Protected: false

Appliance trust: none

------------  I have set all my other ports where only computers connect as follows:   Please let me know if it is ok.

interface FastEthernet0/5-10

switchport mode access

speed 100

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Randall

The title of your question asks about ASA while the body of the question seems to be about pix. I believe that it is the same answer for either platform but perhaps you could clarify which platform we are discussing.

The answer to whether to configure in access mode or in trunk mode depends on how the ASA is configured. By default the ASA treats its interfaces as access ports and supports a single VLAN (with no tagging of frames). But the ASA does support configuring its interfaces as trunks with multiple VLANs supported on the interface and with tagging of frames. So if the ASA is operating in default then configured the port as access while if the ASA is configured for trunking then the port needs to be configured as trunk.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Randall

The title of your question asks about ASA while the body of the question seems to be about pix. I believe that it is the same answer for either platform but perhaps you could clarify which platform we are discussing.

The answer to whether to configure in access mode or in trunk mode depends on how the ASA is configured. By default the ASA treats its interfaces as access ports and supports a single VLAN (with no tagging of frames). But the ASA does support configuring its interfaces as trunks with multiple VLANs supported on the interface and with tagging of frames. So if the ASA is operating in default then configured the port as access while if the ASA is configured for trunking then the port needs to be configured as trunk.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard, thanks, you clarified my question, I didn't know what the recommended approach was.

In this case I will set is as access port because there are no other vlans.

Thank you,

Randall

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card