Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport mode fex-fabric

Hola a todos,

¿Alguien podría explicarme que significa que un puerto presente esta  linea "switchport mode fex-fabric" en su configuración?

Gracias

Saludos

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI Jose,

No problem we are here to help you. Plz feel comfortable.

Okay If I understand clearly you are looking for the information on the command" switchport mode fabric" ? If yes

Switchport mode fabric : (This is used in the concept/technology known as Fabric path on Nexus Os).

FabricPath switching allows multipath networking at the Layer 2 level. The FabricPath network still delivers packets on a best-effort basis (which is similar to the Classical Ethernet [CE] network), but the FabricPath network can use multiple paths for Layer 2 traffic. In a FabricPath network, you do not need to run the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) with its blocking ports. Instead, you can use FabricPath across data centers, some of which have only Layer 2 connectivity, with no need for Layer 3 connectivity and IP configurations.

The FabricPath encapsulation facilitates MAC mobility and server virtualization, which means that you can physically move the Layer 2 node but retain the same MAC address and VLAN association for the virtual machine. FabricPath also allows LAN extensions across data centers at Layer 2, which is useful in disaster recovery operations, as well as clustering applications such as databases. Finally, FabricPath is very useful in high-performance, low-latency computing.

With FabricPath, you use the Layer 2 intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS) protocol for a single control plane that functions for unicast, broadcast, and multicast packets. There is no need to run the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP); it is a purely Layer 2 domain. This FabricPath Layer 2 IS-IS is a separate process than Layer 3 IS-IS.

Beginning in the Cisco NX-OS Release 5.1 and when you use the F Series module, Cisco supports the conversation-based MAC learning schema. Conversational learning can be applied to both FabricPath (FP) and CE VLANs. Using FabricPath and conversational MAC address learning, the device has to learn far fewer MAC addresses, which results in smaller, more manageable MAC tables.

More info on this can be read on the below links;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/fabricpath/configuration/guide/fp_switching.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/fabricpath/configuration/guide/fp_interfaces.html

Please feel free to get back to me if you required any further info on this and I would be glad to help you.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate the usefull posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jose,

Can you please quote your question in English?

regards

Inayath

Sorry my english is not good

The problem I have is not understanding the line indicating

switchport mode fex-fabric

Regards

HI Jose,

No problem we are here to help you. Plz feel comfortable.

Okay If I understand clearly you are looking for the information on the command" switchport mode fabric" ? If yes

Switchport mode fabric : (This is used in the concept/technology known as Fabric path on Nexus Os).

FabricPath switching allows multipath networking at the Layer 2 level. The FabricPath network still delivers packets on a best-effort basis (which is similar to the Classical Ethernet [CE] network), but the FabricPath network can use multiple paths for Layer 2 traffic. In a FabricPath network, you do not need to run the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) with its blocking ports. Instead, you can use FabricPath across data centers, some of which have only Layer 2 connectivity, with no need for Layer 3 connectivity and IP configurations.

The FabricPath encapsulation facilitates MAC mobility and server virtualization, which means that you can physically move the Layer 2 node but retain the same MAC address and VLAN association for the virtual machine. FabricPath also allows LAN extensions across data centers at Layer 2, which is useful in disaster recovery operations, as well as clustering applications such as databases. Finally, FabricPath is very useful in high-performance, low-latency computing.

With FabricPath, you use the Layer 2 intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS) protocol for a single control plane that functions for unicast, broadcast, and multicast packets. There is no need to run the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP); it is a purely Layer 2 domain. This FabricPath Layer 2 IS-IS is a separate process than Layer 3 IS-IS.

Beginning in the Cisco NX-OS Release 5.1 and when you use the F Series module, Cisco supports the conversation-based MAC learning schema. Conversational learning can be applied to both FabricPath (FP) and CE VLANs. Using FabricPath and conversational MAC address learning, the device has to learn far fewer MAC addresses, which results in smaller, more manageable MAC tables.

More info on this can be read on the below links;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/fabricpath/configuration/guide/fp_switching.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/fabricpath/configuration/guide/fp_interfaces.html

Please feel free to get back to me if you required any further info on this and I would be glad to help you.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate the usefull posts.

Thank you very much

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card