cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog problem in switch

shiraforkosh1
Level 1
Level 1

I have switch that yesterday was down. After few hour i was able to connect it, and when I check the syslog messeges i didn't see anything about this problem. I checked the syslog on the switch that connected to it, and also there were not syslog messeges about it(like syslogg that the port is down). Now the switch is down again, and I don't know what can be the problem, and I the syslogg not show me messege about it. Does anyone know this problem about the syslog?

3 Replies 3

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

On most Cisco devices, syslog is cleared on restart.  Nexus are different...

If you are logging to an external server, that might give you indication of potential problems prior to any outage, but obviously if a switch fails, most of the messages past the fatal point are not sent.

You might want to verify logging level on the switch and neighbor switches - if set too high, you might be getting only critical messages, which you may be missing when the switch actually fails (unless you leave a console of some kind attached to the switch).

Also check, whether the neighbor switch's port is configured with "no logging event link-status". If so, you will not see port up/down events in it's log.

Please check sh ver | i uptime to see if the switch is reloading/powered off.

If so, check for crashfiles to know the RCA for the crash.

Thanks

/Madhu

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card