Views
Helpful
Replies

sytem mtu settting to jumbo frame in Cisco C9300

kamal.singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have Cisco C9300 switch working in stack, but recently got a requirement from storage to setup Iscsi with 10G ports, ports are available switch but they want to configure them as jumbo frame supportable.

by default size is 1500 and if i enable the jumbo frame it will be applicable for entire switch not port basis.

Now my question is:

currently i have other switches and Firewall and server /Desktop also connected with switch, if i enable the jumbo frame it will be configure to all ports, so will it impact my running setup, or what do you suggest.

I am getting worried if i enable the jumbo frame globally and it could impact my running setup or MTU mismatch issue etc.

Can you please give expert advise on this.

or advise me how can i proceed if i want to do this setting?

Thanks

Kamal singh

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Supporting jumbo Ethernet, I believe, only slightly increases possible MTU related issues.  Why?  Because hosts that support jumbo Ethernet can try to transmit jumbo sized frames on switches not supporting jumbo.  With jumbo support, the jumbo frame gets a bit further.

The difference are (with jumbo enabled), a host might receive (in the same L2 domain) a jumbo frame it cannot support.  If so, it should reject the frame.  Again, remember, if jumbo wasn't enabled, the host shouldn't have gotten the frame at all, so other than consuming bandwidth to the host, the net effect is the same.

Additionally a host might receive multiple frames, from a jumbo frame whose packet was fragmented at a L3 hop.  The biggest problem here, often is the network device that needs to fragment the jumbo frame, which may increase the CPU load on that device.  Otherwise, not much of a difference beyond if a fragment packet is lost, the whole jumbo frame will need to be resent, rather then a single frame/packet which was not fragmented.

A sometimes overlooked issue when using jumbo Ethernet is, there is no standard for jumbo Ethernet.  So, you can sometimes run into jumbo MTU issues because different devices might have different jumbo MTUs which can lead to MTU issues.

Personally, because there's no standard for jumbo Ethernet, I advise to stay away from it (yea, I know, storage folk want it - but, I think, mostly because they can - it's not quite the panacea they tout).

One of the biggest benefits to jumbo Ethernet, is you're able to raise the percentage of data being transmitted (see Ethernet bandwidth efficiency ).  It also decreases the processing overhead, of processing frames and/or packets (as there are fewer for the same data volume).  Again, though, are these benefits, so necessary, to use something non-standard?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i do not believe like Nexus, Cat 9K are support per port based mtu, it is system wide, but i do see Layer 3 interface has feature to set different.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-11/configuration_guide/int_hw/b_1611_int_and_hw_9300_cg/configuring_system_mtu.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card