Views
Helpful
Replies

testing Home Connection qos VPN phone

jasoncaines
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have asked to test an VPN phone for home Users. I have a BT adsl broadband at home which is going into a cisco  2900 switch.  Port One  is connect to the computer port 3 is connected to the Avaya VPN phone this work's. The quality is not very good, so the question is could I have qos on Port 3 which is connected to the phone?

Regards

4 Replies 4

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jason

QoS is always important when dealing with VoIP, but as you only control the flow as traffic leaves your switch at home and then at the remote end, you will always be "fighting" the internet for bandwidth/priority if your ADSL line is a home user setup.  The QoS on your local switch will help guarentee/prioritize the traffic that leaves your home network, but after that, it's a free for all untill it hits your remote end. If the 2900 is the XL, then you will have scheduling capabilities, see below for more details.

In summary, yes, apply the QoS at your end and the remote end, this my help the "quality" of the call, but you also need to factor in the Codecs you are using and that you are using VPN protocols to get to your remote end.

2900 XL QoS

The Catalyst 2900 XLswitches with 8 MB of DRAM provide QoS       based on IEEE 802.1p Class of Service (CoS) values. They support input       classification and output scheduling. The Catalyst 3524-PWR XL and 3548 XL       switches also support the p...

Hi Adam

Cheers for replying,  Is this correct?

On switch I do Conf t

!mls qos

! interface 0/2

name computer

mls qos cos 3

! interface 0/3

name phone

mls qos cos 7

is 7 the highest?

Hi Jason