Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP Config

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm looking to make saving configurations a little easier.

Is there a way send my switches configurations to a tftp server with one command?

Instead of copy run tftp,

then tftp addresss,

then the name of the config?

Just trying to make things easier.

For instance, could could the tftp server address be configured already on the switch and the name of the image to be copied to it, so I could save the config to it with one command.

Thanks, Pat.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Pat,

you can create an exec alias or you can create an archive. It depends what you wanna achive. the exec alias you have to configure like this:

alias exec tftpcopy copy running-config tftp://[ip address]/[filename]

this just copies the running config with one command in this case tftpcopy, you still can modify the filename, but there is mechanism which adds the timestamp.

the archive function is triggered as soon as you copy running-config to startup config. it copies the the config to an tftp destination as well as to the startup config with a version number. Still there is no timestamp in the filename but the version number is incremented. The configuration is also saved to the tftp every 1440 minutes with the time-period command.

You can configure the archive like this:

archive

log config

logging size 1000

notify syslog

hidekeys

path tftp://[ip address of tftp server]/[foldername]/[filename]

write-memory

time-period 1440

no file verify auto

you find more there

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/fun/command/reference/cfrgt_01.html#wp1094316

regards

alex

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

alex.dersch
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Pat,

try this, copy running-config tftp://[ip address of tftpserver]/[folder]/[name of file]

regards

alex

Thanks Alex

That is better but, is there a way to automate it even more. For instance, have the server address, folder name, and name of config file already configured on the switch and then with one short command send it to the tftp server with the current date applied to the name of the file?

Patrick

I haven't used this for a while but something like Kiwi Catools can do this for you -

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/kiwi-cattools-features-and-benefits/

if you don't have that many switches then the freeware version may be all you need.

Jon

Hi Pat,

you can create an exec alias or you can create an archive. It depends what you wanna achive. the exec alias you have to configure like this:

alias exec tftpcopy copy running-config tftp://[ip address]/[filename]

this just copies the running config with one command in this case tftpcopy, you still can modify the filename, but there is mechanism which adds the timestamp.

the archive function is triggered as soon as you copy running-config to startup config. it copies the the config to an tftp destination as well as to the startup config with a version number. Still there is no timestamp in the filename but the version number is incremented. The configuration is also saved to the tftp every 1440 minutes with the time-period command.

You can configure the archive like this:

archive

log config

logging size 1000

notify syslog

hidekeys

path tftp://[ip address of tftp server]/[foldername]/[filename]

write-memory

time-period 1440

no file verify auto

you find more there

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/fun/command/reference/cfrgt_01.html#wp1094316

regards

alex

Hi,

For a test I configured:

alias exec tftpcopy copy run tftp://10.200.0.120/C:\Documents_and_Settings\pmchenry\Desktop\NEWCONFIG\Config

When I save it:

Switch#tftpcopy

Address or name of remote host [10.X.X.X]?

Destination filename [C:\Documents_and_Settings\pmchenry\Desktop\NEWCONFIG\Config]? 2011-8-1

!!!!

13684 bytes copied in 1.484 secs (9221 bytes/sec AcademicCtr2#tftpcopy
13684 bytes copied in 1.484 secs (9221 bytes/sec

Wondering if I can automate a timestamp to the file name so it will not only give it a unique name but, will be in order in the folder?

Thanks, Pat.

Other way, very simple that you can use Config Download function in Solarwind toolset. You only have the RW community-string, after that click and click, not command line in here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card