Views
Helpful
Replies

Tftp or ftp or scp the NX-OS image from laptop to NX-5624Q

kamalvu01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have connected my Laptop to the NX-5624Q switch's console port using console cable. Our office doesn't have specific tftp or ftp server. So currently I have to tftp or ftp the image file from my laptop to the nexus switch. Do i need to connect one more crossover cable from my laptop to the switch (in addition to console cable) for tftp the file from laptop to switch? 
Currently with the console connection alone when i try to copy the image i received an error "No route to host " because my laptop has wireless network connection and IP. 

Now if i connect a crossover cable from my laptop to the switch what ip should i use ? Will i need to create an ip in this case? Please help. 

Unfortunately i don't have direct physical access to the switch. I have RDP into the laptop which has console connection.

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To use tftp, or ftp, or scp to copy an image file you need a network connection and not a console connection. You would need an Ethernet cable connecting your laptop to the Nexus. You would need to configure the Nexus for the connection, which might be done by configuring the Nexus port as a routed port with an IP address or might be done by configuring the Nexus port as an access port, assigning the port to a vlan, and configuring a vlan interface with the IP address. You would then need to configure the Ethernet of your laptop with an appropriate IP address. You would also need to be sure that the laptop has the appropriate software to run tftp, or ftp, or scp.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you have console access, I presume you also have direct PHYSICAL access to the unit? If so, look at the back of the appliance. Do you see the USB port? You can copy the IOS to the appliance using a USB thumb drive.

No. I don't have direct physical access. I have RDP into the laptop connected to the console port.

To use tftp, or ftp, or scp to copy an image file you need a network connection and not a console connection. You would need an Ethernet cable connecting your laptop to the Nexus. You would need to configure the Nexus for the connection, which might be done by configuring the Nexus port as a routed port with an IP address or might be done by configuring the Nexus port as an access port, assigning the port to a vlan, and configuring a vlan interface with the IP address. You would then need to configure the Ethernet of your laptop with an appropriate IP address. You would also need to be sure that the laptop has the appropriate software to run tftp, or ftp, or scp.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am glad that our suggestions were helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other readers in the forum to identify discussions that have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card