cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

three questions about OSI/RM.

yuanguitao
Level 1
Level 1

1. we all know MAC is short for media access control, which is used in Layer 2 , and only in IEEE802 standard system. in another type of network Frame Relay, we used Data Link Control Interface instead. so i guess that we use different tool to identify end-user. am i right?

2. Generally, WAN interface (serial interfaces) don't have a MAC address, and I want to know if the reason is I just mentioned before. and if that means all WAN interfaces don't need  MAC addresses.

3.what kind of application should used Frame Relay network?

Thank you for your answers!

1 Reply 1

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

Regarding your questions:

1. we all know MAC is short for media access control, which is used in Layer 2 , and only in IEEE802 standard system. in another type of network Frame Relay, we used Data Link Control Interface instead. so i guess that we use different tool to identify end-user. am i right? - End users or machines will always have a mac address.

2. Generally, WAN interface (serial interfaces) don't have a MAC address, and I want to know if the reason is I just mentioned before. and if that means all WAN interfaces don't need  MAC addresses - I suggest the following link, its a good read:https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10236311/mac-address-serial-interface

3.what kind of application should used Frame Relay network? - Its used mostly used by ISP's only.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card