cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Topology change in one VLAN of an MSTP instance affects all VLANs in that instance?

LA-Engineer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding MSTP.

Say I have 3 switches, A B and C.  A and B are connected to each other using a trunk link and A is the STP root.  Then, I connect switch C to switch B using an access port which is on vlan 100.  And, switch C's priority is lower than both A and B for VLAN 100.

I believe that if all these switches are running R-PVST, the behavior is that C will cause B to perform an RSTP sync-proposal-agreement but only for vlan 100.  This will cause a momentary outage for ONLY vlan 100 between A and B.  All other VLANs will not be affected.

Let me know if I got it right for MSTP.  In MSTP, since all VLANs are in a single instance, a change to one instance affects all the VLANs of that instance.  There will be a momentary outage for all VLANs between A and B.  Is that right?

Thank you in advance!

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card