cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traceroute mac through vrf switch

tomasgravvold
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, We have a bunch of 3560 switches running OSPF/VRF between them, and some 2960 switches connected to each of the 3560's. What I'm trying to do is trace the L2 path (traceroute mac ip) from one 2960 to another (both connected to the same 3560), but I get this error message:Unable to send a l2trace request to . Timed out

Layer2 trace aborted.

I guess it kind of makes sense that it doesn't find the right SVI/vlan, since the vlan in question is part of a VRF on the 3560 in question.

Is it at all possible to work around this, in some way?

(Tracing between L2 switches (not through L3 switch with vrf) is working fine, of course.)

regards

Tomas

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tomas,

The VRF routing table is completly separated from the Global routing table.  So if you are using trace or ping, you need to use it within that VRF

if the name of your VRF is test, then use:

ping vrf test 10.10.10.10

HTH

Reza

I'm aware that the VRF routing table isn't global :-)

Given this scenario:   [sw-L2_1]<-->[sw-L3]<-->[sw-L2_2]

...I am not able to traceroute mac from sw-L2_1 to sw-L2_2, if the sw-L3 is running vrf.

L2 switches are in any case not vrf aware, hence it's not possible to specify a vrf when running traceroute mac on them.  I'm starting to think this is not possible.. :-)

regards Tomas

Edit: I am of course able to ping between [sw-L2_1] and [sw-L2_2].

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card