Views
Helpful
Replies

Traceroute!!!!

ajitkgiri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

While tracing some destination, I have always observed that I am getting three times. Why so? I am giving one example below. I have tried to trace google.co.in and got mentioned output. Please reply.

C:\Users\nbgiripr>tracert google.co.in

Tracing route to google.co.in [173.194.112.87]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     3 ms    <1 ms  10.127.161.2
  2     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.127.160.2
  3     6 ms     5 ms     7 ms  212.31.208.246

Regards

Ajit

3 Replies 3

pavan1279
Level 1
Level 1

I think when you are tracing route to some ip address, it actually pings for 3 times to the next hop and gives the corresponding reply time for each ping. Like, by default, when you try to ping any ip address it gives you reply for 4 times in the same way tracert gives you 3 replys for each hop.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's because the default is often 3 probes.  On many Cisco devices you can vary the number of probes.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Copied from this Cisco Article which explains both Ping and Traceroute:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-121-mainline/12778-ping-traceroute.html

The Traceroute Command

The traceroute command is used to discover the routes that packets actually take when traveling to their destination. The device (for example, a router or a PC) sends out a sequence of User Datagram Protocol (UDP) datagrams to an invalid port address at the remote host.

Three datagrams are sent, each with a Time-To-Live (TTL) field value set to one. The TTL value of 1 causes the datagram to "timeout" as soon as it hits the first router in the path; this router then responds with an ICMP Time Exceeded Message (TEM) indicating that the datagram has expired.

Another three UDP messages are now sent, each with the TTL value set to 2, which causes the second router to return ICMP TEMs. This process continues until the packets actually reach the other destination. Since these datagrams are trying to access an invalid port at the destination host, ICMP Port Unreachable Messages are returned, indicating an unreachable port; this event signals the Traceroute program that it is finished.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card