GigabitEthernet1/0/1

switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access

interface Vlan10

description Vlan10
ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

"show  interface summary"

1. what traffic is counted on the interface vs the vlan

2. if the traffic is coming from a device (other switch etc.) which also has set its interface as "mode access"

3. if the port is "mode trunk"

bit confused here 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the traffic counted on the physical interface is ALL traffic that comes from whatever is connected to this interface.

The traffic counted on the SVI (Vlan 10 interface) is the traffic that is going to other SVIs (that is, layer 3 traffic destined for another subnet or external destination). Any inter-Vlan traffic never passes through the SVI.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

the traffic counted on the physical interface is ALL traffic that comes from whatever is connected to this interface.

The traffic counted on the SVI (Vlan 10 interface) is the traffic that is going to other SVIs (that is, layer 3 traffic destined for another subnet or external destination). Any inter-Vlan traffic never passes through the SVI.

ino
Level 1
Level 1

thank you

my confusion came probably because i had ip routing enabled on the switch and saw little spikes in the vlan traffic

still not sure what they are as although ip routing was enabled i havent used it 

some route announcements maybe?

any way on my router i can more clearly see whats going on 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card