cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic/route can be controlled in loopback interface/physical interface

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi  Can we say data traffic(packet) would be controlled(sent out/in) only when the prefix is attached in physical interface? and route would be controlled(sent/in out) only when the prefix is attached in loopback interface or bgp policy, right? Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes an acl attached to an interface controls traffic through that interface in the direction you apply the acl.

If the acl is attached to a loopback interface then the traffic would have to route through that interface to be controlled by the acl which I think is what you are saying.

Jon

View solution in original post

Traffic consists of packets really at the IP layer so yes to that.

A route is more than just a prefix ie. it also contains a metric, a next hop etc. but I understand what you mean.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Traffic can be forwarded as long as there is a route for the destination prefix, not sure how you are relating that to a physical interface.

Can you clarify what you are asking.

Jon

Thanks for your reply. 

I mean the access-list can be attached to physical interface, which can control traffic. If the access-list is attached to loopback interface, the interface should control route, right? As we know, what bgp policy controls is route, instead of traffic, right? 

Yes an acl attached to an interface controls traffic through that interface in the direction you apply the acl.

If the acl is attached to a loopback interface then the traffic would have to route through that interface to be controlled by the acl which I think is what you are saying.

Jon

Great! BTW, both the traffic and packet should be same concept, and both route and prefix should be the same thing, right? Thank you

Traffic consists of packets really at the IP layer so yes to that.

A route is more than just a prefix ie. it also contains a metric, a next hop etc. but I understand what you mean.

Jon

Great and thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card