Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble configuring VLANs with DHCP and OSPF

HW2022
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've been trying to configure a network that has 3 different locations. Each location has different departments that are on different VLANS. The plan is to have a DHCP server automatically assigning IP's to different department PC's using the VLAN's. I am also trying to implement dynamic routing throughout the network. However, trying to add all these features together is proving to be hard as I have limited knowledge of each feature. I started working on the Cluster 1 area of my network which is where I've tried to implement this. I have attached my network, would really appreciate if anybody could help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Take a look on my file. It is working.

Some highlights about your project.

You used the same network addressing on both sides. This is possible but would be very difficult to arrange this. I changed to different scopes for each vlan...

192.168.0.x -vlan 1 Side A

192.168.2.x -vlan 2 Side A

192.168.4.x -vlan 3 Side A

192.168.16.x -vlan 1 Side B

192.168.18.x -vlan 2 Side B

I put the DHCP server on vlan 1 side B with IP 192.168.14.x.

For OSPF, you create area 1.  But, divide ospf in areas add some complexity that dont make sense for this topology.

The Area 0, backbone area, makes things easier. So, I setup ospf in area 0 for all devices. This way, all layer 3 devices nows every network.

There are different ways to do this, I am not saying that my way is correct or better but it works. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

As I can see from you file, there´s more than one structure ther, the main one, is pretty complex. I am not criticizing you but I advise you to start with something simple and then you go adding complexity.

I can help you, for sure, that´s why we are here, but I need that at least all your network have IP address, interface configured, etc.

Not sure if my file but I can´t see nothing done but the elements put together.

I have deleted the rest of the network and left the parts that had configuration.

Thanks for the help.

Take a look on my file. It is working.

Some highlights about your project.

You used the same network addressing on both sides. This is possible but would be very difficult to arrange this. I changed to different scopes for each vlan...

192.168.0.x -vlan 1 Side A

192.168.2.x -vlan 2 Side A

192.168.4.x -vlan 3 Side A

192.168.16.x -vlan 1 Side B

192.168.18.x -vlan 2 Side B

I put the DHCP server on vlan 1 side B with IP 192.168.14.x.

For OSPF, you create area 1.  But, divide ospf in areas add some complexity that dont make sense for this topology.

The Area 0, backbone area, makes things easier. So, I setup ospf in area 0 for all devices. This way, all layer 3 devices nows every network.

There are different ways to do this, I am not saying that my way is correct or better but it works. 

This solution is great, I see now. I didn’t realise that you would need different network addressing on each side. That’s very interesting and is going to help me expanding my network further.

Thanks so much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card