cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble pinging a switch

jgarneau
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, a little new to this stuff. But, I have an assignment in packet tracer and I can't seem to be able to ping the switch a PC is connected to within my network. I have set the VLAN up and the default gateway to the router the switch is connected to, and I can ping the router from the switch, but I can't ping the switch or router from a PC. I have set networks like this up before without a problem, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong here. I have scrapped and restarted like 4 times now and I keep running into the same problem. I'm just setting up the IPv4 addresses first

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @jgarneau 

There is one problem here. The PCs should be assigned to the network 10.20.20.0/22, right? But, the Router´s interface that should be the gateway for those PCs is on the network 10.20.30.0/30 and it will not work this way.

The router´s interface must be on the same network as the PCs. Either the PCs network need to be changed to 10.20.30.0 but then the mask can not be /30, it has to ne bigger, or the network on the Router´s interface must be 10.20.20.0/22.

Please, make sure you got the right information and let me know.

FlavioMiranda_0-1691194575565.png

View solution in original post

Hi @jgarneau 

You need to run the following commands in all routers

ipv6 unicast-routing

ip cef

ipv6 cef

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hi @jgarneau 

Attach the PacketTracer file instead. You just need to zip it first.

Thanks, I just added it.

Hi @jgarneau 

There is one problem here. The PCs should be assigned to the network 10.20.20.0/22, right? But, the Router´s interface that should be the gateway for those PCs is on the network 10.20.30.0/30 and it will not work this way.

The router´s interface must be on the same network as the PCs. Either the PCs network need to be changed to 10.20.30.0 but then the mask can not be /30, it has to ne bigger, or the network on the Router´s interface must be 10.20.20.0/22.

Please, make sure you got the right information and let me know.

FlavioMiranda_0-1691194575565.png

My teacher said he did  the subnetting for us so we can see how to apply dual stack. So the network address that is next to the router is wrong and shouldn't be there because it should be on the /22 network? Oh nevermind, I think I see where I was confused. He put the network addresses in a weird place that was confusing me. Thank you flavio, I'll try that out right now!

You got it. Let me know if I can help you.

I figured out the IPv4 and routing. But now I have implemented IPv6 and Im having trouble pinging some routers. I can ping 20ab:10:10:10::1 +2, 20ab:10:10:30::1 + 2, 20ab:10:20:30::1 but not 2, 20ab:10:30:30:1 but not 2,  20ab:10:40:30::1 but not 2 from LA_PC2. I don't get why I can't ping the other Local network that the router is attached to. I've attached the .pkt. 

Hi @jgarneau 

You need to run the following commands in all routers

ipv6 unicast-routing

ip cef

ipv6 cef

I don't think my teacher has gone over the IP cef commands yet, so I think he would dock me points. Thank you soo soo much, I can't believe I forgot the ipv6 unicast-routing command. 

The IP cef may not be required but is a good practice.  Now the uniscast routing is required

I still can't ping ipv6 to some routers. 

Edit: Nevermind, I was able to troubleshoot it and get it working. Thank you soooo much for replying to me and helping me out! Appreciate it a lot!

brian420
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a beginner too...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card