cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble routing VLANs between 4503 and a 6509

JohnW63
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 6509 core switch that connects all of your schools together via fiber. In the past, the group of buildings near the data center with this core switch were on the same subnet as the datacenter, which did cause some problems. We now have set these local buildings to appear just like the remote sites as it also connects via fiber. While the 4503 is passing VLAN 1, and all the edge switches are passing data through it to the data center, I can not get VLANs to work. The 4503 only sees it's own routes plus the single route to the data center, and nothing else. ( VLAN 1 and the two VLANs I created on it. ) The 6508 only sees the VLAN 1 range on the port that is connected to the 4503 and not either VLAN I made on the 4503. All the other switches at the schools discover lots of routes, and so does the core switch ( 6509 ), but this 4503 discovers nothing. Only directly connected routes show up.   The 6509 and 4503 are on different VTP domains.  I can see the VLANs listed on the 4503 by the show VLAN command. I see them in the Show IP route command as well. The VLANs on the 4503 have IPs assigned.

The port that goes over the fiber is not set to trunk. It is a Static Access port. Some of the other school sites are set this way, some are set as Trunk and some are set as Dynamic and they all work. ( I didn't set them this way. Our previous director and third party Cisco support company handled this. )

I've been comparing , line by line, another 4503 at a school that works fine with the one I am messing with and I can not find a setting that I have different. They are both running 12.2 ios, although the one I am working on is slightly older version of 12.2 .

If I set a port on the 4503 or any other switch that is provides a connection to the 6509, to Native VLAN it does not get an IP address. Our DHCP server is configured to provide it. I think the route for my VLANs is not making it to the DHCP server in the data center.

What else can I look at ?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

post the configs of the 4503 and the 6509...

I think I figured it out. 

This was what the 4503 had on it for routing:

!

router eigrp 105

redistribute connected

network 10.12.112.0 0.0.7.255

auto-summary

!

That network subnet was it's old range, when it was part of the data center group. Once I changed it to the subnet it was now in, 

network 10.12.120.0 0.0.7.255

It discovered all the VLAN 1s on the other switches.  I need to enable a device to use another VLAN to see if that works.  I'll post the result. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card