cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk link not connecting

DHGmem
Level 1
Level 1

I'm replacing a switch and I can't get the trunk link to the core connect.

I'm not 100% sure its not the fiber link to the core, but it was previously working and I traced it with a light pen. There are two available fiber links in this comm room and both don't work.

Config is pretty basic on both ends...

interface TenGigabitEthernetX/X/X
switchport
switchport mode trunk

Show interface on both ends...

GigabitEthernetX/X/X is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is 1000BaseLH

I wanted a 10G-LR SFP but I thought it might be compatibility so i changed it back to the original 1G-LX SFP for now.

I've swapped out everything I could think of on both ends...

-Swapped the switch

-Swapped the SFP module

-LC/LC fiber - new out of the package

-Tried multiple SFP's (Same on both ends)

I also plugged the switch directly into the core via 10G-LR SFP LC/LC and it worked.

I don't know what else to try other than get someone to run a new fiber link which could be expensive.

Please help with some ideas to try

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try setting speed 1G or try no autonegotiation interface command.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Given your list of hardware checks, have you tried changing the polarity of the fibre at one end?

cheers,

Seb.

paul.driver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

@DHGmem wrote:

10G-LR SFP but I thought it might be compatibility so i changed it back to the original 1G-LX SFP for now
I also plugged the switch directly into the core via 10G-LR SFP LC/LC and it worked.

FYI - 10G will be Single mode, 1GB can be Single or Multimode
So check to see if you have a compatibility issue, also try crossing the TX/RX pins around

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

You wrote " I traced it with a light pen", I have never seen that this is working on single mode fiber. I thought it only works for multimode.

And if your fiber is multimode, and the SFP:s are LX (single mode) that will be a problem. It can maybe work for a very short range with 10G, it reaches a bit longer with 1G, so the advice from @balaji to test with 1G is good. Or try with SX.

/Mikael

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card