Views
Helpful
Replies

Try to understand "enable secret ...." and "user admin password..."

Hello and sorry for my english,

I don't really understand the différence between : 

enable secret 5 *****
username admin privilege 15 password 7 *****

I understand that "enable secret 5 ***" is the password use to pass in enable mode. 5 if for MD5
"username admin...." if to create account to log on to the switch ?

But if i want to let a service provider to connect to switch but i don't want to transmite my password -> i create a new username but how to do for "enable secret", not possible to have different password ?

Thanks a lot

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
i create a new username but how to do for "enable secret", not possible to have different password ?

you can create new user , you do not need to give enable pasword to the users.

if the privelage level 15, it will drop directly to # prompt when they login. (depends on config)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

for the moment, i have on my switchs : "username admin privilege 15 password 7 *****"

when i connect on SSH (vty 0 4) it ask for enable password

Hi,

when i connect on SSH (vty 0 4) it ask for enable password

If you want the switch not to ask you for the enable password, add "privilege level 15" command to your vty lines. 

Be careful when working with username and password, because if the switch is in production and if you make a mistake, you can lock yourself out of the switch, and the only way you can recover the switch is by using the password recovery procedure which requires a reboot and causes downtime.

Overall, if you want the service provider to have access to your device, you should use an ACS or radius server so, they can generate their own password.

HTH

here is the config to add :

config t

!

ine vty 0 4

privilege level 15

!

end

Note : do not write the config until you test all workng  - if anything go wrong you can reboot the device to get back known good config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card