Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to figure out how to move between swiches in 6509

eputman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello you awesome network friends,

I have a 6509 with 3 switches how do I transverse to the 3 different switches? manuy thanks,

-Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

eputman@munsch.com

I am connected via telnet to the SC0. What is the command to get to the module in slot 7 for example so I can configure the ports and what VLAN they reside on etc?

Thanks again Jon

If you are connected via sc0 then you don't actually go any further ie. you don't log onto the module.

To configure ports on CatOS you use set commands. So as an example if you wanted to allocate port 7/2 to vlan 10 you would use -

set vlan 10 7/2

this would allocate the 2nd interface on the module in slot 7 into vlan 10. Don't worry if there are already ports in vlan 10. The above command does give the impression it will only allocate 7/2 ie. it would remove any other ports to vlan 10 but it doesn't. Any ports already allocated to vlan 10 will be left alone.

If you look at the full output of "sh module" it will show you which version of CatOS you are running (if you are not sure post it here). Below are the command reference and configuration guides for CatOS on the 6500 -

CatOS command references -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_command_reference_list.html

CatOS configuration guides -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

eputman@munsch.com

Hello you awesome network friends,

I have a 6509 with 3 switches how do I transverse to the 3 different switches? manuy thanks,

-Eric

Eric

Your question is not very clear at all. What exactly do you want to do ?

Do you mean you have a 6500 and then 3 additional switches and you want to have the same vlan on all switches ?

If so just connect the switches to the 6500, create the vlans with either VTP server/client or manually on each switch, create the L3 vlan interfaces on the 6500 and then make the switch connections to the 6500 L2 trunks.

If this is not what you are asking please clarify.

Jon

Hello Jon

Sorry that wasn't clear enough.

I am trying to get to the internal 48 port switches that are installed in the 6509. How do I transverse the installed switches in the 6509? Attached is what I need to know how to get to via CatOS.

eputman@munsch.com

Hello Jon

Sorry that wasn't clear enough.

I am trying to get to the internal 48 port switches that are installed in the 6509. How do I transverse the installed switches in the 6509? Attached is what I need to know how to get to via CatOS.

So you are definitely running CatOS ?

If so have you set up the management interface sc0 on the supervisor with an IP address ? If so simply telnet to that. If you haven't then use a console cable to attach to the supervisor, setup the management interface or not (up to you), then do "sh conf" and it will show you the running configuration. CatOS refers to interfaces as ports and the numbering system is -

module/port number so from your switch slot 7 is a 10/100/1000Mbps card the numbering would be 7/1, 7/2, 7/3 etc..

Has this answered your question ? If not let me know.

Jon

I am connected via telnet to the SC0. What is the command to get to the module in slot 7 for example so I can configure the ports and what VLAN they reside on etc?

Thanks again Jon

eputman@munsch.com

Thanks again Jon

If you are connected via sc0 then you don't actually go any further ie. you don't log onto the module.

To configure ports on CatOS you use set commands. So as an example if you wanted to allocate port 7/2 to vlan 10 you would use -

set vlan 10 7/2

this would allocate the 2nd interface on the module in slot 7 into vlan 10. Don't worry if there are already ports in vlan 10. The above command does give the impression it will only allocate 7/2 ie. it would remove any other ports to vlan 10 but it doesn't. Any ports already allocated to vlan 10 will be left alone.

If you look at the full output of "sh module" it will show you which version of CatOS you are running (if you are not sure post it here). Below are the command reference and configuration guides for CatOS on the 6500 -

CatOS command references -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_command_reference_list.html

CatOS configuration guides -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

Jon

Jon,

Thanks forthe guy the "set" command is what I needed to use like you said. Thanks for all the help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card