cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two 3750's Redundancy - Do I need to Stack?

JonB93
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to create some redundancy with our server switches (3750x).   We only had one initially but the PSU failed, which took down our servers, so we ordered another one and I'm looking to have some redundancy in case it happens again.

Do I need to stack them? I've never done this before.  I know it treats both as one logical switch, but I wanna make sure I connect everything right.  This is a drawing I made up of how I think it will be done. Although I think my server has 4 nics, so maybe I would just do 2 to one switch and 2 to the other right?  Any other advice or things I'm doing wrong?

switch.jpg

15 Replies 15

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, the 3750-X also supports power stacking, i.e. with a single PSU failure, the 3750-X shouldn't have failed.

Stacking switches does offer some advantage (some disadvantages to, such as a bug in the IOS may take down the whole stack, whereas independent switches, running different software, might not be subject to the same software bug).

To fully leverage a stack, you want other devices to connect to multiple stack members, much as you might connect to multiple independent switches.  What the stack offers, over the two independent switches, you can take advantage of the fact you're dealing with but one logical switch, so you can do things like Etherchannel.  BTW, a switch stack behaves much like a chassis switch with multiple line cards, where, for a stack, each stack member is much like a chassis switch line card.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card