Views
Helpful
Replies

TWo Routers connected to MLS

vishal-patil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a topology which includes one  multilayer switch and two  routers connected directly to that switch

What I am trying to do is I created two SVIs (10 and 20) on switch with ip routing enabled and assigned the two interfaces to which routers are connected in respective vlans (10 and 20). Now, i am trying to ping between the routers, but I cannot. I can ping the SVIs on switch. I am little bit confused why is this happening (considering intervlan routing) or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Vish

5 Replies 5

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

Please make sure that you assigned correct vlans to the switchports connected to routers and IP address/subnet masks are correct. Did you try enabling ip routing on the switch?

type this command on switch in global:

ip routing

Also can the routers ping their ip address and also do you have a default gateway configured on routers.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x (next hop will be the svi address)

The vlan port assignment and ip address/mask are correctly configured. IP routing is enabled.

I am aware of the fact that once I enable dynamic routing or define static routing in switch, it works

Consider the same scenario, but with PCs instead of routers. In this scenario, the two PCs in different vlans can talk to each other through SVIs in switch (of course with default gateway defined for PCs)

Like you mentioned I thought about defining default gateway too, but when I am typing command ip ?, under default-gateway description, it says "Specify default gateway (if not routing IP)"  in the router.

You can create a static route in both routers:

gateway of last resort-

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next hop

or be more specific like:

ip route 1.2.3.5 255.255.255.255 next hop address 

You can also specify a default gateway if you like:

ip default-gateway 1.2.3.4

If the router doesn't have route to destination address it will drop the packet.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card