Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Routers on Separate VLANs

dmluttrull
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to get a configuration started for a small school. We recently upgraded to the Cisco SG300 series of switches. I need to create two separate VLANs that each go to separate routers. The routers then connect to separate internet connections for security and filtering purposes. Here's the question: How do a separate the traffic in such a way as to have one VLAN communicate with one router (and receive an internal IP from said router) and the other VLAN communicate and receive an IP address from the other router? Is this possible? If so, how do I go about configuring the switches? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On the port to each router, make it an access-port, for the VLAN you want the router to be on, or if more than one VLAN desired to a router, you'll need to trunk it, but restrict the VLANs allowed on the trunk (if the SG300 supports that).  Also, for the latter, limit the router's subinterfaces to the VLANs desired.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On the port to each router, make it an access-port, for the VLAN you want the router to be on, or if more than one VLAN desired to a router, you'll need to trunk it, but restrict the VLANs allowed on the trunk (if the SG300 supports that).  Also, for the latter, limit the router's subinterfaces to the VLANs desired.

Thank you. Your information was exactly what I needed. I have been researching this for a while now, but didn't see any answer online. Now that I was able to experiment around with the actual system, I was able to figure it out. Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card