Views
Helpful
Replies

txload and rxload relationship to input rate/output rate

Jason Jackal
Level 1
Level 1

Folks:

I have been reviewing the txload and rxload values in relationship to the input/output rate; however, I do not fully understand the difference between the four values. What is each value telling me?

From what I understand – txload and rxload take in account the interface bandwidth, but is the bandwidth value configured with the interface ‘bandwidth’ command?

If I want to know the average load on the interface – would I look under the following ‘sh int’ command output?

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 1000 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec

454 packets input, 89091 bytes, 0 no buffer

This topic might have already been discussed in great detail; however, I am just having a hard time understanding without the social interaction.

Thank you.

19 Replies 19

Hi leolahoo:

Can I add something?

This is in regards to the value of X/255 (Txload & Rxload) and the value of 255/255 (Reliability).

The value of "255" means that your link is WORKING 100%.

If  you punch in the command "sh interface " and your Txload or  Rxload is showing like X/254 (or lower) then you have a potential cable  problem.

Same  goes with the Reliability value.  The value of 255/255 means it's  working great.  Two-thumbs-up.  However, if the either value dips to 254  and below then you have a cable issue. 

Cable issue...good to know, which I will keep my eye out for.

Thanks.

Cable issue...good to know, which I will keep my eye out for.

Hi Jason,

Can I also add ANOTHER thing (Groan!)?  

If you DO BELIEVE you have a cable issue then you can run a TDR directly from a Cisco switch. 

kindly support guys 

what does it mean when all interfaces txload255/255 while in monitoring system logs shown link not fully utilized 
like 1G link in mentoring you will see about 400Mbps, but txload255/255.

Possibly your monitoring system and interface loads are working on different time windows and/or when a time window actually starts/ends.

i see 1min different.

let is forget about monitoring part , For the  txload 255/255 this happened to all interfaces , is it a bug on 7600 routers i mean it is weird kind of hardware issue or bug  ? 

Note:-

i even tried my laptop it is directly connected  to the router , when i check the interface txload 255/255  no policy applied on interface.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card