Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to boot 2811 router from rom mon mode

networker.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2811 router boots in rom mon mode everytime  and i have downloaded a IOS into flash using TFTP

which is around 32 MB and it was success

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rommon 1 > dir flash:
program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80
Directory of flash:

2      37526692  -rw-     c2800nm-entbase-mz.151-3.T.bin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have setup confreg as 0x2102 and tried this command rommon 2 > boot flash: c2800nm-entbase-mz.151-3.T.bin

to boot the router from the IOS available in flash but it gives error as below

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readonly ROMMON initialized

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0x23c9adc

Error : compressed image checksum is incorrect 0x89E40B95
        Expected a checksum of 0x63B1833A

*** System received a Software forced crash ***
signal= 0x17, code= 0x5, context= 0x80026f40
PC = 0x8000f0d4, Cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x3040a803
c2811 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyone can you tell what should be the next step in troubleshooting

Rgds / Siva kumar

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Error : compressed image checksum is incorrect 0x89E40B95
        Expected a checksum of 0x63B1833A

This is the culprit.  Download the image from the Cisco Download Centre again.

Hi,

I tried downloading new IOS from cisco website and uploaded via tftp it was successful

but said checksum vaildation failed

any how i have proceeded and copied image into flash and tried commands shown in attachment

it was not working,any idea what's wrong

Rgds / Siva kumar

Maybe the IOS you downloaded is still corrupted. On the Cisco web site it tells you what the checksum is for the image that you are downloading.

You can use a program like winmd5sum to compare the checksum of the image that you have downloaded against what the Cisco web sites says it should be before you install it on the router.

In the past I have also come across some TFTP software that has hit the 32 Mb limit. See below the reference on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial_File_Transfer_Protocol

If you are still having problems try changing your TFTP software to something like tftp32 or the Solar Winds TFTP software that has a 4G limit.

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful

Hi sean,

I am using solar winds tftp which should be ok as you stated, but let me check for checksum comparsion in cisco website

Rgds / Siva kumar

I have tried 3 IOS download from cisco website and unlucky

nothing works

error is below any help from anyone

===================================================

Readonly ROMMON initialized
open(): Open Error = -13
loadprog: error - on file open
boot: cannot load "flash:c2800nm-entbase-mz.151-3.T.bin"
c2811 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

=================================================

I would try either a different TFTP server (tftpd32). Or if the Rommon version is 124(13r)T or later, try loading the image from your PC to a USB memory stick and boot from there.

I have an usb port in router, will normal usb stick i have will work and also any doc for  installing from USB

The only supported USB sticks are Cisco branded. I've seen smaller non-Cisco sticks work as well. Install the USB stick, then from rommon issue the 'dev' command. That will print out the file systems that the router can see.  If it recognizes your USB memory, you can boot with the command boot usb0:c2800nm-entbase-mz.151-3.T.bin

Note: use the device name rommon prints for the USB stick, it may be usb0: or usbflash0:

The only supported USB sticks are Cisco branded.

That's not correct.  I have Mr.  Toshiba, Mr.  Lexar who can vouch for that.   USB support up to 2Gb (some people claim 4Gb but I haven't tried it).  You may want to say that NOT ALL USB are supported.  USB has to be formated to FAT16 standard.

If it recognizes your USB memory, you can boot with the command boot usb0:c2800nm-entbase-mz.151-3.T.bin

That's not correct either.  USB support works if your bootstrap runs 12.4(13r)T6 and later.   If you upgrade to this version of bootstrap, the command "boot system usbflash<0 or 1>:.", particularly the "usbflash", is a HIDDEN COMMAND regardless of whatever IOS version you are running (12.4 or 15.X).

Hi leolaohoo,

Yes, I should have been clearer. When I say supported I mean from a TAC perspective.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/prod_warranty09186a00800b5594.html

Yes, some other flash cards will work and smaller ones seem to have better success.

The boot system command is correct for setting the bootvar in IOS. However in this case we are trying to recover the router from rommon.

However in this case we are trying to recover the router from rommon.

Hi Timothy,

If the router is not running bootstrap 12.4(13r)T6 and later how can the user boot from USB?

I don't see where the current rommon is listed, but I did point out that for the USB method 12.4(13r) or later is required.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps6247/prod_qas0900aecd80232483.html

If an older rommon is on the router I would try either a different TFTP server (tftpd32) or an IOS image less than 32MB. The attempt with a smaller image is in case there is a problem with the TFTP client in rommon. Once you have the router running a smaller image, you can upgrade to the latest rommon, 12.4(13r)T11, and proceed with the IOS upgrade to 15.1(3)T

Hi Timothy,

Faster way:  Eject the CF and copy the IOS into the CF using a multi-card reader.  Painless.

I don't see where the current rommon is listed,

It's found in the "description" when you choose which bootstrap version.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card