Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Ping and Access GUI on Cisco 2960XR

I configured a Cisco Catalyst 2960 Switch. I set vlan1 as the ip address of the switch as well as interface 1 with 192.168.1.1 with a class C subnet. 

Strangely I am not able to access the GUI, ping the switch or Telnet directly. However, I am able to telnet once I access another switch using putty. I can telnet to the switch. I also ensure my ssh and vty setting are correct .

Not sure what else to check unless its a fault in the switch.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The default gateway of the switch is wrong.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This shows that other switch in the same subnet can access the switch, but from PC can not, so Switch does not know how to reach back to PC?

as suggested check the Routing and Gateway configured on the switch  or post show run from switch.

Also provide - what is PC IP address and also Switch you able to access what is the IP configured ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Good day,

I watched and ensured it has the default gateway. Ensured it has the no shutdown command. Strangely, I am able to ping and connect through another switch. Used 12 as the uplink for the main switch and 24 on the second switch I am not able to ping or directly connect to the switch. Did a running config to show the comparison.

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@ICT Department NFM 

If local connectivity is fine then, you might need to review the default Gateway of that switch.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

HI,

Just responding to say I got through. The issue seemed like an ACL one. What I did, maybe I can adjust it better was set the ip route to 0.0.0.0 with the required subnet directing to the businesses default gateway and it resolved pinging and accessing the switch directly.

RAdamWilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, 

So I see you did get it solved but Leo and Ruben were both right. On MEZ-DATA01 your vlan 1 ip is 10.10.1.162/24 and your default gateway is set to 10.10.1.42. On your MEZ-DATA03 your vlan 1 ip is 10.10.1.175/24 but your default-gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 . However even if you had changed it to 10.10.1.42 to match DATA01 it wouldn't have had an effect because ip routing was also enable on DATA03. 

If you want to go back and make your config match with the pattern you're using on DATA01 then you need to change your default-gateway to 10.10.1.42 and run the "no ip routing" command on DATA03.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card