cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding load balancing on a L3 EtherChannel Bundle between Integrated Service Router (ISR) and Catalyst Switch

JamesVPN123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am trying to understand how L3 EtherChannel load balancing occurs when used between a multilayer switch and an ISR router.

Example config:

sw1:

int range gi0/20-24

desc linked to gi01-4 on router1

no switchport

channel-group 3 mode active

no shut

int port-channel 3

no switchport

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

no shut

router1:

int range gi0/1-4

desc linked to gi0/20-24

channel-group 7 mode active

no shut

int port-channel 7

ip address 172.16.1.2 255.255.255.252

no shut

I understand that if a packet with a source/destination outside of the 172.16.1.0/30 subnet is forwarded over the link it will load balance accross the links as documented.

Now my questions are as follows:

1) - If a packet is sent from router1 to sw1, it will do so over the same link every time as the load balancing uses src-dst-ip; Is this correct?

2) - Does the EtherChannel packet hashing algorithm remain constant over time (after a device reload for example, link membership change, etc), e.g. always select the same link member based on the source / destination address combination?

If the above is true, the traffic between the switch and the router heading across the EtherChannel bundle will always use the same link member, ergo inter-device traffic is not load balanced in effect?

A slight sideways step on this question would be:

3) - Has anybody successfully got load balancing working on a multilayer switch to server (host) link using a L3 EtherChannel link? I do understand that a L2 EtherChannel on a switch with SVI(s) configured would have a similar effect, and would load balance evenly if set to src-dst-ip...

4) - Am I correct in thinking that an L3 EtherChannel could only ever be used on a L3 point to point link, otherwise it would be a L2 EtherChannel?

5) - Would an L3 EtherChannel on router1 with an L2 EtherChannel configured on the switch with an SVI defined possibly work?

sw1:

vlan123

name link to router

int range gi0/20-24

desc linked to gi01-4 on router1

channel-group 3 mode active

no shut

int port-channel 3

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 123

no shut

int vlan123

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

no shut

Any info / thoughts on this would be most welcomed.

James.

1 Reply 1

JamesVPN123
Level 1
Level 1

Bump: Does anybody have any views on this?

Is there a better place to ask these questions?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card