cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding load balancing on a L3 EtherChannel Bundle between Integrated Service Router (ISR) and Catalyst Switch

JamesVPN123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am trying to understand how L3 EtherChannel load balancing occurs when used between a multilayer switch and an ISR router.

Example config:

sw1:

int range gi0/20-24

desc linked to gi01-4 on router1

no switchport

channel-group 3 mode active

no shut

int port-channel 3

no switchport

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

no shut

router1:

int range gi0/1-4

desc linked to gi0/20-24

channel-group 7 mode active

no shut

int port-channel 7

ip address 172.16.1.2 255.255.255.252

no shut

I understand that if a packet with a source/destination outside of the 172.16.1.0/30 subnet is forwarded over the link it will load balance accross the links as documented.

Now my questions are as follows:

1) - If a packet is sent from router1 to sw1, it will do so over the same link every time as the load balancing uses src-dst-ip; Is this correct?

2) - Does the EtherChannel packet hashing algorithm remain constant over time (after a device reload for example, link membership change, etc), e.g. always select the same link member based on the source / destination address combination?

If the above is true, the traffic between the switch and the router heading across the EtherChannel bundle will always use the same link member, ergo inter-device traffic is not load balanced in effect?

A slight sideways step on this question would be:

3) - Has anybody successfully got load balancing working on a multilayer switch to server (host) link using a L3 EtherChannel link? I do understand that a L2 EtherChannel on a switch with SVI(s) configured would have a similar effect, and would load balance evenly if set to src-dst-ip...

4) - Am I correct in thinking that an L3 EtherChannel could only ever be used on a L3 point to point link, otherwise it would be a L2 EtherChannel?

5) - Would an L3 EtherChannel on router1 with an L2 EtherChannel configured on the switch with an SVI defined possibly work?

sw1:

vlan123

name link to router

int range gi0/20-24

desc linked to gi01-4 on router1

channel-group 3 mode active

no shut

int port-channel 3

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 123

no shut

int vlan123

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

no shut

Any info / thoughts on this would be most welcomed.

James.

1 Reply 1

JamesVPN123
Level 1
Level 1

Bump: Does anybody have any views on this?

Is there a better place to ask these questions?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card