cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unequal Load Sharing Across OSPF

Somniphile
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7606 that is load balancing over OSPF using 8 routes. Coming out of the 7606 are 4 wireless paths, each on a separate routed interface, and two fiber paths, each routed over 2 vlans each. On the far side of the 2 fiber paths the next hop splits off into 2 more wireless paths each. All paths end up on a single, 48 port, 3560G switch. When I have all 8 paths load balancing, I get disproportionate balancing. Paths 1, 2, 7, and 8, do 5/8 of the traffic, paths 5 and 6 do 1/4 of the traffic, and paths 3 and 4 do 1/8 of the traffic. So it would appear that the 1/8 traffic missing from paths 3 and 4, is being equally distributed over paths 1, 2, 7, and 8. Paths 5 and 6 are taking their due share of the traffic. If I disable any one path, the remaining 7 paths balance equally, and it does not matter which of the 8 paths I disable. I have gone over the configuration meticulously and I cannot find any issues. Does anyone here have any ideas? I can provide whatever running configuration one might want to look at.

Here is the network diagram.

LVC is a 7606
ST1 is a 3560G
L14 is a 3560E
PTS is a 3560G

[[{"type":"media","fid":"1310396","view_mode":"default","link_text":null,"attributes":{"alt":"Network Diagram","title":"Network Diagram","height":"648","width":"1495","class":"image-style-none media-element file-default"}}]]This is the current cef state:

#show cef state

CEF Status:

RP instance

common CEF enabled

IPv4 CEF Status:

CEF enabled/running

dCEF enabled/running

CEF switching enabled/running

universal per-destination load sharing algorithm, id DD476B35

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Might be caused by your data content.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card