Views
Helpful
Replies

Unused ports - how to protect my stuff

ashleyreed4218
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Is there a way I can prevent someone from plugging into an unused port (via serial cable) and getting into my system?

Regards,

AR

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If they have the right username, password and a console cable, than they can get to your system.

View solution in original post

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think what Reza is trying to say is configure authentication on the console port and make it as secure as possible (2 factor authentication would be ideal). You could also set the exec timeout to 0, but that would essentially disable the console port. Not good in case you ever need to get into it.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Physically secure your rack cage or wiring closet with a good lock. Add CCTV monitoring if you've got an extra budget.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Ashley

I looked into this as well. Because someone could connect to the console port and reboot the router and do the break sequence and they are in. I looked into port locks. The stick into an ethernet port and have a key to allow you to take out the plug. They are made for ethernet ports but, I imagine they would work for console port.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If they have the right username, password and a console cable, than they can get to your system.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think what Reza is trying to say is configure authentication on the console port and make it as secure as possible (2 factor authentication would be ideal). You could also set the exec timeout to 0, but that would essentially disable the console port. Not good in case you ever need to get into it.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Physically secure your rack cage or wiring closet with a good lock. Add CCTV monitoring if you've got an extra budget.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Ashley

I looked into this as well. Because someone could connect to the console port and reboot the router and do the break sequence and they are in. I looked into port locks. The stick into an ethernet port and have a key to allow you to take out the plug. They are made for ethernet ports but, I imagine they would work for console port.

ashleyreed4218
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone. I guess it is unfortunate that I can't really stop someone from getting in with a console cable. The switches are in a live system at an airport, so I guess it is up to them to keep it physically secure.

All answers correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: