Helpful
Replies

Update MS DNS server from cisco 3750 DHCP

omessadi
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello, 

I

I would like to know how to update my DNS server, which is in a DMZ, from my swtich 3750.
The addresses are as follows:
DC + DNS: 172.16.90.1/24

DHCP Vlan 10
network 172.16.10.0/24
default-router 172.16.10.254 ==> Int vlan 10
dns-server 172.16.90.1 172.16.90.2
domain-name test.local

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I don't think the 3750 switch can dynamically update dns. Your best option is to configure the clients to update dns. Usually on Windows machines, the option to update/register connection in dns is enabled by default. Have you checked that the clients can register with you dns server? You might need to check that port 53/TCP is allowed from clients to dns server.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

can you more elaborate ?

omessadi
Spotlight
Spotlight

for example, when a computer gets a DHCP lease, how do I automatically register it on the DNS from the cisco 3750?

but you config the DNS under the DHCP Pool, so the client sure get it when ask IP from FW.
do you face issue with DNS?

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I don't think the 3750 switch can dynamically update dns. Your best option is to configure the clients to update dns. Usually on Windows machines, the option to update/register connection in dns is enabled by default. Have you checked that the clients can register with you dns server? You might need to check that port 53/TCP is allowed from clients to dns server.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Thanks a lot 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card