Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 6509-Chassis in a VSS-environment

Peter Tscherner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

we have some pairs of 6509-VSS, which partially have old (no more officially supported) 6509-Chassis.

All linecards in the VSS are the same (Sup 720-10GE-3C, 67XX).

We now bought some new 6509-E-Chassis and want to change the old chassis by the new ones in a ISSU manner, that means:

1. putting the partner, which chassis changes, in redundancy mode, switch it off, exchange chassis (old "Catalyst 6509", new "Catalyst 6509-E")

2. inserting the line-cards exactly in the same slots and connecting all cables

3. switch on the new chassis, witing to come up in VSS

I'm not sure of having to set the switch number for VSS (is that in the Sup?; configuration? or part of the chassis-memory?)

I've looked up cisco for some hints, but don't found anything.

Is there anything to mention?

Regards

Peter

5 Replies 5

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Peter,

Please find below upgrade procedure using ISSU:

Upgrade VSS using ISSU

Current State before ISSU Process:

Switch 1 - Active

Switch 2 - Hot Standby

Verify this using the command "show redundancy"

STEP 1:

- Make sure IOS image is saved in sup-bootdisk and slavesup-bootdisk (dir sup-bootdisk:, dir slavesup-bootdisk:)

STEP 2:

Run the following commands on to make sure, everything is working fine:

show issu state detail

show redundancy

show module switch all

STEP 3:

Run "issu loadversion" so that Standby Chassis reloads (Supervisor and its modules) and comes up in Hot Standby State with new upgarded image.

Command:

issu loadversion sup-bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI6.bin

Verification:

Wait until all the modules comes up and then verify the following:

show issu state detail

show redundancy

show module switch all

NOTE: “Current Version” for Standby should point to New Image in “show issu state detail” output.

STEP 4:

Run "issu runversion" to force switchover so that the Standby Chassis (with new image) will take the Active Role and former Active will reload and come up as Hot Standby running old image.

Command:

issu runversion

Verification:

Now Standby will become Current Active and have the control (and the active switch goes into Hot Standby). Verifyh from:

show issu state detail

show redundancy

show module switch all

NOTE: "Primary Version" and "Current Version" should point to new image for Current Active Switch in "show issu state detail" output.

STEP 5:

Run "issu acceptversion" to stop the Rollback Timer. (Because if the timer expires, the upgraded chassis reloads and reverts to the previous software version).

Command:

issu acceptversion

CAP-6500-1#issu acceptversion

% Rollback timer stopped. Please issue the commitversion command.

STEP 6:

Run "issu commitversion" so that the current Standby (Running Old image) will reload its SUP and modules and come up as Hot Standby with new upgraded image.

Command:

issu commitversion

NOTE: Everything point to new image and Boot Variable should display both old and new image in “show issu state detail” output.

STEP 7:

Verify that the upgrade was successful using the following commands:

show issu state detail

show redundancy

show module switch all

Current State after ISSU process:

Switch 2 - Active

Switch 1 - Hot Standby

NOTE: If you want Switch 1 to take over the Active role, perform "redundancy force-switchover".

Abortversion (Optional)

At any time before you enter the issu commitversion command, you can roll back the upgrade by entering the issu abortversion command. The upgrade process also aborts automatically if the software detects a failure. The rollback process depends on the current state. If the eFSU is aborted before you enter the issu runversion command, the VSS standby chassis is reloaded with the old image. If the eFSU is aborted after the issu runversion command, a switchover is executed. The VSS standby chassis, running the old image, becomes the VSS active chassis. The formerly VSS active chassis is then reloaded with the old image, completing the rollback.

Reference Link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1169499

2-

Best practice on configuring the VSS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a7c837.shtml

HTH

REgards

Inayathj

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Hi Inayathj,

I know ISSU very well, for I've done that several times for upgrading IOS-version.

But the question was:

Do I have to mention anything (maybe set switch number?), if I physically change the chassis of a partner of a VSS?

Regards

Peter

Hi PEter,

I personally feel you shouldnt.

Regards

Inayath

Hi Inayath,

thanks for your opinion.

I will than try it and report in that forum (next days).

Regards

Peter

Hi folks,

we change one old 6509 chassis with a new 6509-E, and had no problems, - beside the physical chassis fixing, which is slightly different in height, so be prepared before you slide in the new chassis.

So the simply solution is:

1. Put the VSS-partner, which chassis you want to change in redundancy standby mode, if necessary and then switch it off

2. Pull out all boards and power-supplies (we really let the cables of the boards connected)

3. Exchange chassis, put back on all boards and power-supplies

4. Switch back on the new chassis and wait to get into VSS-state

Regards

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card