Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 7206VXR IOS

lcd_shouldit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I  want upgrade IOS on my 7206VXR from 12.4(12c) to 15.1(4)M5 , but the CF card only 64M.

NAME: "disk2", DESCR: "64MB Compact Flash Disk for NPE-G1"

Router#show bootvar

BOOT variable = disk2:c7200-jk9s-mz.124-12c.bin,

15.1(4)M5 is almost 40M. So there is not enough space.

I want to ask is it ok if I upgrade with normal precedure ,  With the command " copy tftp: disk2: " ?

Does the router will automatically delete the older IOS first and then copy into the new one ?

Or Is there something I should pay attention first ?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No the router will not delete the old one first.  I would check other parameters such as nvram for size compatability too as 15 code is usually somewhat larger than 12.4 code .  You would have to delete the 12.4 code first and do "not" power down or interupt your code download  or you will brick the router and you will have to console load a new IOS in , not a fun thing.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Glen has noted, the usual procedure in cases like yours is to first manually delete the current IOS image.  As he also noted, loss of power (until the new IOS is loaded) is "not a fun thing."  However, if your particular 7200 has a kboot image on bootflash, I think it supports tftp to disk2.  If it does, it can take some of the pain out of the recovery procedure, but it's still not much fun.

The other thing you might run into, although not as likely on a 64MB cards that needs to support a 40MB image, even with deletion of the prior IOS image, you may have insufficient space for the new image.  Most likely cause of this, on newer 7200s, there's other files on the CF.  If so, you need to determine if any can also be safely deleted to free the space you need.  (The extreme version of this, is to simply reformat the CF.)

There's also a chance (I think on some 7200s) you might run into flash formatted the old way.  This old flash formatting doesn't automatically recover space when a file is deleted.  The old method was to use the erase command, which reformats the flash, and removes all files on it (i.e. if you need any, you first need to save them elsewhere and restore them afterward).  However, some of the old flashes, if they need to be erased can be formatted instead.  Still removes all existing files, but going forward, new file deletions will recover the deleted space.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No the router will not delete the old one first.  I would check other parameters such as nvram for size compatability too as 15 code is usually somewhat larger than 12.4 code .  You would have to delete the 12.4 code first and do "not" power down or interupt your code download  or you will brick the router and you will have to console load a new IOS in , not a fun thing.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Glen has noted, the usual procedure in cases like yours is to first manually delete the current IOS image.  As he also noted, loss of power (until the new IOS is loaded) is "not a fun thing."  However, if your particular 7200 has a kboot image on bootflash, I think it supports tftp to disk2.  If it does, it can take some of the pain out of the recovery procedure, but it's still not much fun.

The other thing you might run into, although not as likely on a 64MB cards that needs to support a 40MB image, even with deletion of the prior IOS image, you may have insufficient space for the new image.  Most likely cause of this, on newer 7200s, there's other files on the CF.  If so, you need to determine if any can also be safely deleted to free the space you need.  (The extreme version of this, is to simply reformat the CF.)

There's also a chance (I think on some 7200s) you might run into flash formatted the old way.  This old flash formatting doesn't automatically recover space when a file is deleted.  The old method was to use the erase command, which reformats the flash, and removes all files on it (i.e. if you need any, you first need to save them elsewhere and restore them afterward).  However, some of the old flashes, if they need to be erased can be formatted instead.  Still removes all existing files, but going forward, new file deletions will recover the deleted space.

Hi,

According to this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/15_1/release/notes/151TFEAT.html#wp1079552

seems that 15.1M&T does not support 7206VXR.......

And this 7206VXR has only 256M memory:

Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G1) processor (revision C) with 229376K/32768K bytes of memory.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card