Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Cisco 3850 IOS-XE 3.x to 16.6

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i'm trying to upgrade a cisco 3850 switch from IOS-XE 3.x to 16.6.x.

i chose 16.6 so it's not smart license enabled.

just would like to ask if anyone had the experience to upgrade directly from 3.x to 16.x? any caveats?

3850#software install file ?
flash: URL of the software bundle to be installed
ftp: URL of the software bundle to be installed
http: URL of the software bundle to be installed
https: URL of the software bundle to be installed
tftp: URL of the software bundle to be installed

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

pinkman4180
Level 1
Level 1
How do I upgrade my 3850 in bundle mode?

If the switch is currently running in “Bundle” mode, then we need to use the “software expand” command to convert the switch into the Install mode first and then install the new IOS XE. The 'software expand' exec command is used to extract the package files and the provisioning file (packages.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@johnlloyd_13 wrote:
just would like to ask if anyone had the experience to upgrade directly from 3.x to 16.x? any caveats?

24 minutes.  

It will take 24 minutes to boot, from 3.X.X, to 16.X.X because of a micro-code upgrade.

praestans
Level 1
Level 1

@Leo Laohoo  I'm doing this same thing, upgrading my lab 3850 from 3.x to 16.6. My switch has permanent RTU for IPServices, which I need to maintain.

If I run the upgrade to 16.6, will my license remain?

Your help will be greatly appreciated, I haven't found the answer to this specific question anywhere on the forums. Thanks

@praestans wrote:
If I run the upgrade to 16.6, will my license remain?

Support for infernal Cisco Smart Install for switches starts at 16.9.X (and later).  

16.6.X and earlier will still maintain the old style, RTU license.

Make sure to read my responses in this thread.  It will provide a good idea how to upgrade the firmware as well as the expired QuoVadis certificate.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card