cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-40.SG.bin to cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.150-2.SG11.bin

frankguthrie
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade a 4948 to advanced enterprise as I want to configure OSPF, which does not work on the current version (IP base 12.2) Will I run into any problems or can I upgrade directly, without incrementing the IOS 12 2 version first?

Also I hear something about licensing.... I was under the assumption licensing was only used with Nexus OS. 

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You need a license for an entservice image , licenses exist on both ios/ios-xe and nx-os but they work differently on nx-os there bound to the chassis usually rather than the sup

entservices aren't free though on any platform , you don't need to increment upgrades but you will need to activate a license for ospf

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11783601/cisco-catalyst-4900m-license

Hi Mark,

The thread you're referring to confused me as someone is saying that you need a license for the universal version and not for the enterprise version...

I might solve this by just upgrading from 12.2 ipbase to 12.2 advanced enterprise as I need OSPF and don't want to trouble myself wit licensing, although I don't know what ED en MD mean when looking at the images..... Why don't they just say stable??? It confuses the hell out of me.

Hi

you need the license , first you need to download the image put it in flash then boot it , then you need to add the license for it , Cisco don't give away any of the high end images without licenses anymore , your charged for the feature set

Official doc

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4900-series-switches/product_bulletin_c25-552113.html

Ordering Information

The Cisco Catalyst 4948 Switch and 4948 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switch each have three part numbers for ease of ordering. WS-C4948 and WS-C4948-10GE now have LAN Base as the default image instead of IP Base. Both switches can be fully upgraded to IP Base or Enterprise Services with the purchase of software upgrade licenses. The -S and -E SKUs will still include IP Base and Enterprise Services, respectively.

• Configurable part number: WS-C4948 and WS-C4948-10GE: Customer-selectable software, power supply, and power cords

• -S part number: WS-C4948-S and WS-C4948-10GE-S: Cisco IOS Software IP Base image bundled with one AC power supply and customer-selectable power cord

• -E part number: WS-C4948-E and WS-C4948-10GE-E: Cisco IOS Software Enterprise Services image bundled with one AC power supply and customer-selectable power cord

Table 1 summarizes ordering information for the three images.

Table 1. Ordering Information for Image Options

Part Number

Default Cisco IOS Software Image

Power Included

WS-C4948

LAN Base

No

WS-C4948-S

IP Base

1 AC power

WS-C4948-E

Ent Serv

1 AC power

WS-C4948-10GE

LAN Base

No

WS-C4948-10GE-S

IP Base

1 AC power

WS-C4948-10GE-E

Ent Serv

1 AC power

usually you get some form of ospf routing on the ipbase on standard ios anyway up to couple hundred routes then full opsf with ipservice or entservices but I checked my 4948s just to be sure and yes there is no ospf available on ipbase

ccccccc(config)#do sh ver | i ipbase
System image file is "bootflash:cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SG3.bin"
ccccccc(config)#router ospf 99
Protocol not in this image

Hi Mark,

Are you saying that even when I use upgrade to 12.2 advanced enterprise i need a license...? I thought this was only needed in 15.x

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card