Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from VS-S720-10G-3C to 3CXL

Zeeeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have tried googling for answers but failed to find helpful ones.

Currently, I have 2 x 6509 running on VSS. I am using VS-S720-10G-3C supervisor modules on these 6509. I am looking for steps to upgrade my these modules to VS-S720-10-3CXL.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Aizat

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Buy the WS-F6K-PFC3CXL daughter card (if they are still available) and install them. `tis as simple as that.

Will there be a downtime?  Yes, because the supervisor card will need to be removed in order to install the daughter card.  

Catalyst 6500 Series PFC3B and PFC3BXL Installation Note

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.  

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply.

I was just wondering if it is possible to shorten the downtime by performing the following steps:

1. Stop VSS.

2. Change the modules in secondary 6509. Turn it on and let it run live.

3. Change the modules in primary 6509. Turn it on and configure both 6509s to run on VSS.

Thank you,

Aizat

Weigh your options carefully. 

1.  You can get the daughter card and install.  Factor in some prolong downtime for the installation.

2.  Get a Sup2T or Sup6T with the daughter card already installed. 

3.  Get a spare Sup720, install the daughter card and insert the card.  

To add to Leo's information, also remember to get the full benefit of upgrading the sup to an XL, you'll want any line cards with a DFC to have a XL (ideally a DFC3CXL). Additionally, although I believe this is in the installation note Leo provided, you need to power cycle (cold boot) the chassis for such a change to also insure all the hardware is fully sync'ed to take advantage of it.

BTW, unless you working with routing tables that exceed the capacity of the non-XL, the XL won't improve your system's performance.

"2. Get a Sup2T or Sup6T with the daughter card already installed. "

NB: sup6T cannot be used with a 6500. Sup2t line cards must have a CFC or DFC4.

Hi Leo and Joseph,

Thanks for the advises and tips.

And yes, I already have pfc3cxl, dfc3cxl and 1g mem cards ready to be mounted in their respective modules during this upgrade.

Am I right to say that, assuming there is no hardware issue, after inserting the upgraded modules, I will have to upload my backup config in the engines and things should go well? I mean, is there any additional settings required for XL type setup? Is there anything that I need to take note of?

Thank you,

Aizat

"Am I right to say that, assuming there is no hardware issue, after inserting the upgraded modules, I will have to upload my backup config in the engines and things should go well?"

I believe that's correct.

" I mean, is there any additional settings required for XL type setup? Is there anything that I need to take note of?"

Don't believe so, and not that I'm aware of.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card