Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Impact Nexus 6000

michael.beppler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we plan to Upgrade our Nexus 6004 and 6001 from 7.3(2)N1(1) to 7.3(12)N1(1)
It will be a disruptive Upgrade, due to used SVI-Interfaces on the Switches.

If i use the following command, I get this Additional info for this installation:
"Remove QoS & ACL config on L3 interfaces and SVIs if any"
We use ACLs on our SVI-Interfaces. What is excactly the impact, if I didn't remove the ACLs?

I can't find anything for this displayed info.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael!

This message is only applicable for non-disruptive ISSU (In-Service Software Upgrade) types of software upgrades. It is not applicable for the disruptive software upgrade you are initiating.

To summarize, Nexus 5000 and 6000 series switches do not support Layer 3 functionality during an ISSU. This is documented in the "In-Service Software Upgrades" section of the Cisco Nexus 6000 Series NX-OS Software Upgrade and Downgrade Guide, Release 7.3(12)N1(1) document, quoted below:

"Cisco Nexus devices support Layer 3 functionality. The system cannot be upgraded with the ISSU process (nondisruptive upgrade) when Layer 3 is enabled. You must unconfigure all Layer 3 features, remove the L3 license, and reload the switch, to be have a nondisruptive upgrade with an ISSU."

Therefore, the "Remove QoS & ACL config on L3 interfaces and SVIs if any" message you are seeing in the output of the show install all impact  kickstart bootflash:n6000-uk9-kickstart.7.3.12.N1.1.bin system bootflash:n6000-uk9.7.3.12.N1.1.bin command is informing you what you need to do (among other warnings, most likely) in order to perform the upgrade via an ISSU. Since you plan on performing a disruptive upgrade (where the switch and all connected FEXs fully reload), you can safely ignore this message.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

michael.beppler
Level 1
Level 1

Here ist the command:

show install all impact kickstart bootflash:n6000-uk9-kickstart.7.3.12.N1.1.bin system bootflash:n6000-uk9.7.3.12.N1.1.bin

I forgot it in my first post.

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael!

This message is only applicable for non-disruptive ISSU (In-Service Software Upgrade) types of software upgrades. It is not applicable for the disruptive software upgrade you are initiating.

To summarize, Nexus 5000 and 6000 series switches do not support Layer 3 functionality during an ISSU. This is documented in the "In-Service Software Upgrades" section of the Cisco Nexus 6000 Series NX-OS Software Upgrade and Downgrade Guide, Release 7.3(12)N1(1) document, quoted below:

"Cisco Nexus devices support Layer 3 functionality. The system cannot be upgraded with the ISSU process (nondisruptive upgrade) when Layer 3 is enabled. You must unconfigure all Layer 3 features, remove the L3 license, and reload the switch, to be have a nondisruptive upgrade with an ISSU."

Therefore, the "Remove QoS & ACL config on L3 interfaces and SVIs if any" message you are seeing in the output of the show install all impact  kickstart bootflash:n6000-uk9-kickstart.7.3.12.N1.1.bin system bootflash:n6000-uk9.7.3.12.N1.1.bin command is informing you what you need to do (among other warnings, most likely) in order to perform the upgrade via an ISSU. Since you plan on performing a disruptive upgrade (where the switch and all connected FEXs fully reload), you can safely ignore this message.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card