Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade N7K-SUP to N7K-SUP2E

Gabriel Santini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have un Nexus 7k with two N7K-SUP (SUP1) installed and in service.

I need to upgrade the chasis to N7K-SUP2E without service interruption.

The quiestion is if one SUP1 and one SUP2 can work together...

I mean... I wont to remove de standby SUP1 and install the SUP2. Then, perform de switch of supervisor (both SUP's with the same NX-OS), and then, replace the second SUP1.

Can anyone help me with this?

(sorry for my englush).

Brgds

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi no sorry that's not possible you need to plan for a maintenance window the migration will cause downtime the sups are not interoperable

The migration procedure is disruptive.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

may help to review this doc

Migrating to M2 Series Modules

When preparing to migrate from an M1 Series module or an F2 Series to an M2 Series module, observe these guidelines:

• The M2 Series modules interoperate with M1 Series and F1 Series modules in the same VDC.
  • The M2 Series modules work with Fabric 1 and Fabric 2 modules and they work with both Supervisor 1 and Supervisor 2 modules.
  • The migration procedure is disruptive.

To ensure an error-free migration, we recommend that you follow these steps to install an M2 Series module:

1. Remove the module to be replaced.

2. Enter the write erase command to erase the startup configuration.

3. Insert the M2 Series module.

4. Enter the copy running-config startup-config command to copy the configuration to the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/61_nx-os_release_note.html

Hi Mark, thank you for your help, but i need to replace de supervisor 1 to supervisor 2 (not the line card or modules) Also, i will replace the fabric too, but after of the supervisor change.

The 7k are running NX-OS 6.2.12

Brgds

sorry try this link specifically for replacing sup1 with sup2 types on Nexus

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/hw/nexus7000/installation/guide/n7k_hig_book/n7k_replacing.html#pgfId-1410535

Thank you again Mark.

I need to know if I can remove de stby sup1 and insert thw new sup2 without problem.

Then, make the switchover and then, replace de second SUP1.

Brgds

hi no sorry that's not possible you need to plan for a maintenance window the migration will cause downtime the sups are not interoperable

The migration procedure is disruptive.

I do not think you can do it without service disruption. Sup1 and Sup 2 do not work together.

Thanks,
Madhu.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card