cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade path for Cisco 3560X

Cisco42
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to upgrade IOS version from 12.2(55)SE1  to 15.2.4E10. What are the revisions I need to upgrade to in order to get to desired version? Or can I go directly from 12.2 to 15.2?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Direct upgrade to 15.2 is supported (or achievable) and no intermediate version(s) is/are required. 

However, I strongly recommend using the TAR file and try not to "upgrade" the firmware by copying the BIN file only.  The command to extract the BIN file with the TAR file is:  archive download-sw tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/<TAR_FILE>.tar

Finally, expect a long outage of about 30 minutes because going from 12.2(55)SE to 15.2(4)E is a major upgrade and this means a one-off micro-code upgrade.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see any upgrade matrix similar to what there is for NXOS. Please let me know where in this doc it shows upgrade path. I assume it would go like this:

12.2-55(SE1) ======> 15.0-1(SE3) ======> 15.2-4(E10)

You can directly go to the target version, read the release notes and requirements. Nexus is different all compare to this switch.

The only requirement is a Microcode upgrade. (it is part of the upgrade).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Direct upgrade to 15.2 is supported (or achievable) and no intermediate version(s) is/are required. 

However, I strongly recommend using the TAR file and try not to "upgrade" the firmware by copying the BIN file only.  The command to extract the BIN file with the TAR file is:  archive download-sw tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/<TAR_FILE>.tar

Finally, expect a long outage of about 30 minutes because going from 12.2(55)SE to 15.2(4)E is a major upgrade and this means a one-off micro-code upgrade.

Thank you for the quick response!

Could you elaborate on why it is recommended to use the TAR file instead of the BIN file? Currently I have the BIN file downloaded to the switch flash. 

Also,  would going through this upgrade path, (12.2-55(SE1) ======> 15.0-1(SE3) ======> 15.2-4(E10), cause less downtime because they would be considered minor upgrades?

Thank you in advance.

Great Information on the slides and during the presentation. Thank you! I have a much better understanding now. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card