Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Switch Stack 3850

Ramirov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello , 

I have a doubt with this topic , I have an stack with 4 switches(2 WS-C3850-12XS and 2 WS-C3850-48T )Cisco IOS Software [Everest] 16.6.3 or 4 I dont remember now.

Firts doubt-  I understand that only need the image of the master switch to do the upgrade , I mean the master is WS-C3850-12XS so I dont need the image of the WS-C3850-48T right ?

Second doubt -- This is the correct way to do the upgrade ??

copy image to each switch flash
copy x flash
copy x flash2:
etc.....

Then set boot
boot system switch all flash:x
save it , wr
Then reload command to boot the stack with new software

Because I read this

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3850.html#pgfId-1158346

and they talk about this command 

Switch# request platform software package install switch all file flash-3:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.01.SPA.bin new auto-copy and a different way to do.

1 Reply 1

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

For your first concern. All switches will need to be upgraded. However, you can run the upgrade from the master and it will push the image to all the other switches if done correctly.

To answer your second concern, let me provide a little background. On 3850 there are two modes. Bundle mode and install mode:

Bundle mode: Traditional way of installing IOS where you set the boot statement to file with the "boot system" command and reload.

Install mode: Newer method that is recommended as it optimizes memory utilization. This mode must be done using the "request platform" commands.

If you are going to run in bundle mode then your method would be correct, you would need to manually copy the image to the flash of each switch and change the boot statement and reload.

If you are going to run in install mode then the doc is correct. However, it depends on what mode you are in currently (show ver will tell you). If you are currently in install mode, follow the "Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.x.x to Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x in Install Mode" section. If you are currently in bundle mode, follow the "Move from Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.x.x Bundle Mode to Install Mode" section. When running these commands, the files will automatically be copied to each of the member switches so you don't have to manually do it yourself. 

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card