cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade WS-C3650-24PS

DV99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have several switches model Cisco WS-C3650-24PS in version 03.06.04.E. I need to upgrade them to the latest recommended version but they do not have enough space in the flash.
What do you recommend me to do?

I have checked and you can delete the old IOS files from the switch, in operation and then apply the command software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9 new force but I do not know if it will be recommended.

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Historically, not uncommon to have insufficient flash to hold multiple IOS files.  Commonly, the running version is deleted to provide space for the replacement IOS.

If the Cisco device accepts USB sticks, you might be able to save an IOS file on it and possibly be able to boot from it.

Being able to connect a laptop to the local L2 segment, running a tftp server can be useful too.

Thank you Joseph.

So, is it possible to delete the files from the flash memory and without rebooting the computer load the new firmware and then continue with the update?

Thank you Joseph.

I am not physically near the switches. So, is it possible to delete the files from the flash memory and without rebooting the equipment load the new firmware and then continue with the update?

Yes, it's possible.  Done many times, even remotely.  However, occasionally a reboot to the new IOS fails.  So, you should plan for dealing with that, which can be difficult when it's remote equipment.

Remember do not reboot until you believe device is ready to boot into replacement IOS.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"This procedure is aimed at Cisco 3850 switch ONLY."

No issue with OP's switch is a 3650?

@Joseph W. Doherty wrote:

"This procedure is aimed at Cisco 3850 switch ONLY."

No issue with OP's switch is a 3650?

Ooooo ... That's a type-o on my part.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card