cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading firmware of Catalyst 6500 modules.

NetworkingGeek1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community.

Recently I was upgrading Catalyst 6509 and I was able to upgrade firmware of SUP2T-10G, but there are other modules, like:
WS-X6816-10T, WS-X6816-10GE & WS-X6148A-GE-TX. I couldn't find new firmware for them. At Cisco software download page I didn't find even the names of these modules. Can someone please send me link to the firmware for these modules?

15 Replies 15

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They are the modules you do not need to upgrade, as long as sup card upgrade done, that will be taken care modules.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello @balaji.bandi  Is that ok that SUP card and these modules have different firmware versions? For example SUP2T - 12.2(50r)SYS and WS-X6148A-GE-TX - 8.4(1), WS-X6816-10GE - 12.2(18r)S1 ?

that should be ok.

show module give you SW version (not FW version)

BB

Output of "show module" gives both SW & FW versions.

yes it gives you need to look SW version should show same for all ( FW version show different,) so as i mentioned you need to worry much on that as long as the modules working as expected.

BB

The FW software is generally just enough to bring the card on-line to the chassis, so that the chassis sup's ROMMON, and/or the booting IOS can, if needed, update execution software on the cards.  This is why the FW version, often, matters very little, and also why the SW versions should (I recall?) match.

Assuming you're read the release notes for the sup's ROMMON, often the updates are exotic and more, often than not, you really don't need to apply.  This, too, because the IOS, has the execution software it needs to control installed hardware, regardless of the FW version on the card.  (Have you ever noticed, new hardware, like line cards, will often note they need a minimum IOS version, not a minimum ROMMON version?)

IOS version for all modules are equal in my case. Just wanted to find out if I can upgrade only firmware of SUP module or it's possible to upgrade firmware of modules I mentioned too.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

By sup2t firmware, you mean such as a ROMMON upgrade, not IOS, correct?

If so, I recall (?) most line cards are configured by the sup's setup and/or IOS boot.  I.e. stand alone line card firmware software is not provided, except by (perhaps) very "special" cards, like the (EoL) FlexWAN, WiSM, etc. cards.

In your second question, about whether card firmware of different versions matter, usually not.  Release notes, for software you want to install should note any dependencies.  If the rare case were a line card's firmware needs to be updated, if the hardware is under a Cisco support contract, I recall, they will replace the card.

Hello @Joseph W. Doherty  Yes, I mean ROMMON upgrade. I could upgrade SUP - VS-SUP2T-10G, because I found it's Firmware (ROMMON) on the Cisco software download website. There are 3 more types of module in this 6509: WS-X6816-10GE, WS-X6816-10T and WS-X6148A-GE-TX. For them I didn't find any Firmware on the Cisco software download website.

NetworkingGeek1
Level 1
Level 1

@balaji.bandi& @Joseph W. Doherty Could you please also suggest, what should be upgraded first, firmware (rommon) or software (IOS)? I think it should be like this:
1. Upgrade firmware of SUP

2. Restart Switch
3. Upgrade IOS

4. Restart Switch

Part of the upgrade process ROMMON need to be upgrade if required.

by the way what is the current version running, what version you trying to upgrade.

show version give us more information.

Note: read the release notes, take the config backup out of the box.

Upgrade do in a maintenance window, give enough time for to reboot and come normally to work.

some reference 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/rommon/sup2t_sup6t_rommon.html

BB

Release notes should describe dependencies.

Sometimes, depending on platform, and what's being upgraded, you need to even upgrade to intermediate (vs. where you want to end up) releases.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What IOS version are you trying to reach? 

If the version is 15.5(1)SY train, read the Release Notes very, very carefully.  

The Release Notes for 15.5(1)SY train will mention about a manual FPGA upgrade.  This can only be done once the line card has loaded the new 15.5(1)SY.  What makes this FPGA upgrade "interesting" is how the Cisco documentation team hides this info.  The command to perform the FPGA upgrade is located in another webpage and the command is HIDDEN.  

Hello @Leo Laohoo  I already upgraded 6506 to IOS 15.5(1)SY8  Also I upgraded firmware (ROMMON) of VS-SUP2T-10G to12.2(50r)SYS. First I upgraded firmware of SUP, and switch was restarted I upgraded its IOS. My original question was, do I need to upgrade also other line cards, like: WS-X6816-10GE, WS-X6816-10T & WS-X6148A-GE-TX? On the Cisco website download software I didn't firmware for this modules, I found only for VS-SUP2T-10G and therefor I upgraded it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card