Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading supervisor in Catalyst 4506E

Ceiteach01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have adopted a couple of 4506E boxes and have the task of upgrading the supervisor in one of them. Both currently have a Sup6E (WS-X45-SUP6-E) and a Supervisor 8E (WS-X45SUP8-E) has been purchased to install in one of the chassis in order to gain the additional 10G fiber ports. I have no idea how to do this so my question is what steps need to be taken prior to swapping out the sups, if any? I've Googled, of course, but am not finding much that gives me a warm fuzzy about performing this procedure so I'm looking for some fundamental instruction on what to do. Also, as if you couldn't discern, I only have basic Cisco admin experience at this point.

Thanks,

Keith

8 Replies 8

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Considerations:

1. Are your existing line-cards still supported when you go to 8E?
2. Is your current firmware on your 8E support the line-cards? Are there any caveats?
3. License - are you using any feature that requires license?

Explained:
1. Are your existing line-cards still supported when you go to 8E?
Can you do a show inventory of your chassis switch with the SUP6E?
If you are swapping to 8E, verify on the release notes/datasheet of 8E if your existing line-cards are supported

This is probably the most major consideration you need to take in

Refer to this link, it's a datasheet about your 8E sup: http://bit.ly/1l85QNw

Just schedule downtime if anything happens, also consider using this commands:
#show module     -Verify line-cards

In your existing infra (your 6E) do a 'show module' this is to verify if the modules are okay. Once you go to 8E, do this again to make sure they are healthy.

2. Is your current firmware on your 8E support the line-cards? Are there caveats?
-Just check the release notes of your 8E, though idk how you would view the firmware of your 8E since it is not installed or mounted. Also, check if there are any caveats on the firmware

With regards to the installation, it is just simply turning off device, insert that sup, and turn it on again

3. License - are you using any feature that requires license?
-Pretty straight forward, better make sure/verify this, your device provider should be able to help in necessary license migration.

Thanks you, Isgabrillo for your response. That makes me feel much more comfortable about this seeing that is is a fairly simple process. As Josh mentioned above, is there a requirement to transfer the config? I know this is a very basic question but I've never had to deal with these devices on this level before.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith, 

Anyway, for the configuration, well of course, setup a TFTP or FTP server, to transfer your current configuration:

Assume we are using TFTP:
STEPS:
1. Save configuration on chassis just in case
    #write memory

2. Copy config
    #copy running-config tftp://<IP>/filename-config.cfg 

-*.cfg extension does not matter, you can even use your name if you want haha xD
-PS: This file can be viewed through notepad

3. Before proceeding, verify if your modules are healthy: #show module
4. Shutdown device, then remove the 6E-Supervisor
5. Slot-in your new and improved (haha) 8E-Sup and of course, turn on the device
    -Make sure to monitor progress, always have a serial-console cable connected at all times,         monitor its POST(Power On Self Test) logs

6. Once it boots up, do a #show module again - verify if all modules are okay, normally, 8E updates the line cards so give it time as well, that is why it is important to always have a serial-console connected to monitor its boot-up

7. If all modules are healthy, then yehey! you have successfully migrated to 8E, but of course, device has no configuration

8. Do a file transfer to the 8E device, connect your computer to let's say port1 of one of your line cards

#conf t
#vlan 100
#interface vlan 100
  #ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0
  #no shutdown

#interface g3/0/1
  #switchport mode access
  #switchport acess vlan 100
  #spanning-tree portfast

->Connect your computer and verify if you can ping device

now let's copy the config:
#copy tftp://<IP>/filename-config.cfg startup-config          

-let's copy it to startup first since you will experience disconnection when you overwrite the running

#copy startup-config running-config    -Done

ALTERNATIVELY:
-Remember i said that the file can be opened by notepad? you can actually, just simply copy and paste the config to the CLI:

#conf t
->Paste about let's say 10-20 lines of config as you scroll along ^_^

PS: Im pretty sure there will be rejected commands, whatever step you follow when transferring the config considering 6E is quite old, but most of those rejected commands are just "fillings."

For example, the SSC on the switch, that is for sure will be rejected since each switch has its own SSC, though this is okay.

Just make sure the vital configurations e.g., IP address, VLAN, VLAN assignemnts, routing etc. are there ^_^

Rate or Mark as correct helpful posts :)

PS: I do recommend, if you are still a newbie (not saying is bad) to have someone to assist you that knows Cisco devices as well. Probably the distirbutor or whatever company provided you with the device, though for sure this is gonna cost, but better safe than sorry XD

Josh Sprang
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the install guide on a supervisor 8..  

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_29676.html

Make sure it is compatible with your chassis and line cards first..

Line card compatibility matrix is here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_25315.html

Do a show module.  Find the module it should say ws-x4.... in the output of the show mod, in the above link and verify it is compatible with the sup-8..

Like lsgabrillo said, I would compare the license on the current sup-6 with the one on the sup-8..  they should both have either lan-base, ip-base, or ip services...    lan-base is layer 2 only, ipbase gives you lan base + static routing some eigrp (I think stub config only) things like that, and ip services gives you ip base + everything else BGP, full eigrp ospf, etc..  So if the current sup-6 is running BGP and your sup-8 is LAN base, the sup-8 won't run BGP until you upgrade the license to ip serv. Licensing information is here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-685524.html

If everything jives I would back up your configuration using TFTP...  

download and install tftpd32.exe run it..  Make sure windows gives all the rw access to the TFTP directory in the program configuration

on the 4500

wr mem

copy start tftp

<remote host is your IP>

<destination file name is what you name the config on your machine>

Power down the chassis...  Put in the sup 8..  Power it up..  make sure all the modules boot and are up with show module..   Make your PC L2 adjacent to the switch and you two can ping each other in that subnet..  run tftp server on your PC

copy tftp start

<put your PC IP in there>

<destination is startup config>

<source file is the one you backed up earlier in the TFTP directory.>

once that is done reload the chassis..  Stay consoled in and make sure you do not get any invalid outputs when the system boots.  Back up the new config and diff with the old make sure they are the same.. 

Please note that if you are running ssh or https or anything like that you will need to address these separate..

Good luck.

Thanks, Josh for the quick and informative response. I've verified the line cards are compatible.

1. The question I have now is: Does the fan tray module need to be compliant? I can't find anything in the links and docs about this.

2. Does the tftp of the config need to be done in order to get things back to operating status or simply swap out the Sups as Isgabrillo states below?

Thanks,

Keith

1. I don't see any notes on different versions of the fan trays for the 4500 series chassis.  If there is it looks like it is the same for a "E" or "R+E."

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd801792b1.html

I wouldn't worry about it...  If it is a problem the switch should through an alert in syslog. 

2. yes...  TFTP is a copy of your configuration..  Since the sup6 has a current working config in its nvram you are simply copying that to the nvram of the sup8.  The sup8 should have a blank/default configuration on it..  This is a method of copying the old sup6 config to the sup 8

Also, maybe I should add that this 4500 is one of 4 switches on the network. 2 of the remaining 3 are also 4500's and the other is a 6500. All 4 are running 12.2x (don't know about the Sup8 yet). Each switch has only one supervisor, thus no redundancy for this in any switch.

Thanks,

Keith

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card