cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading the IOS for Cisco Router

purpletech
Level 1
Level 1

There is not enough memory on the flash to upgrade the Router to latest version. Can I erase the current IOS file and then upload the new version from the TFTP server to flash

3 Replies 3

Yes, you can certainly do it.

However, important thing to remember is, if you are trying to do it remotely and if WAN connection goes-off. Your Router will be still able to server you as long as it don't suffer power outage. In case power outage happens, it won't be able to find IOS to boot up.

And if you are doing it locally, then there is not of much risk involved....

HTH,

Smitesh

Thank you Smitesh. I need to do it remotely.

So as long as there is no power outage, I can delete the current version of IOS and upgrade it to the newer vesion

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

So as long as there is no power outage, I can delete the current version of IOS and upgrade it to the newer vesion

Yes you can.

Other options include booting directly from a local TFTP server or, on some platforms, booting from a USB stick.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card