cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uploading Cfg file to Cisco 831

mystrwizard
Level 1
Level 1

Really new here to Cisco. Our netwok administrator was let go and I am running the show now but am having a problem with uploading a config file to our Cisco 831 which is acting as a firewall to a T1 line. I am so newbie to Cisco so bear with me please! Our router was reset to defaults(yea, I know) and of course the config file was lost on the router but... I did find these files saved on one of our file servers. in a folder TFTP-Root

c831-k9o3y6-mz.123-2.XC2.bin

startup-config

cisco831-config

I can see the files were backed up and on this server there is a TFTP server that has been ran. Here are my questions.

1. To get the router back to where it was with these files, which ones do I need to upload?

2. Do I need to upload a boot file and config file or just one or the other?

3. I did try to upload the startup-config file using telnet and got as far as the TFTP program trying to load it to the Cisco but an error came up about the security range for the TFTP didnt include 10.10.10.1??? The wierd thing is the TFTP server is 192.168.1.10 and the Cisco is 192.168.1.252. I can ping the Cisco but I cannot figure out why the Cisco is sending to the TFTP server that its IP is 10.10.10.1.

I appreciate any help since right now our office netork has no email till I reset this.

Thanks

Jim

10 Replies 10

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

Not sure where the 10.10.10.1 came from, but it might have something to do with your tftp server

If you are telnetted into the router, issue the command: show ip int brief

This will tell you what ip addresses are configured on the router

The command to copy the config from the tftp server to the router would be:

copy tftp run

You may then specify the tftp server's ip address as well as the filename (looks like cisco831-config would be the winner).

c831-k9o3y6-mz.123-2.XC2.bin is an IOS image, and it's probably already loaded on the router.

So, I ran the and it shows these addressess

Ethernet 0 10.10.10.1

Ethernet 1 Wan IP address

FastEthernet1 unassigned

FastEthernet2 unassigned

FastEthernet3 unassigned

FastEthernet4 unassigned

The wierd thing is when I first went into the web interface and set the routers IP address, I gave it 192.168.1.252 which is how I can connect to it over the web or telnet so Im still not sure where the 10 one comes from.

Jim

I wonder if the router is running SDM and if that feature may have put the 10.10.10.1 into the config?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jim

1) To get the router back to where it was you need a configuration file. the c831-k9o3y6-mz.123-2.XC2.bin is an image file and you should not need to load that. Probably both the startup-config and cisco831-config are config files. It might be interesting to compare them (based on file dates is one any more recent than the other? is the content significantly different?) but as a guess you might start with the cisco831-config.

2) It is very unlikely that you will need to load a boot file or an image file. These files should already be on the router and should not need to be re-loaded.

3) If the router was reset to defaults it would have no IP addresses. If you are doing TFTP then you must have configured some interfaces with addresses and no shut. Did you configure more than 1 interface? Are you accessing the router by console port or by telnet? From the router can you ping the TFTP server and from the TFTP server can you ping the router?

Would I assume that you were using the command copy tftp running-config to transfer the file - or was it some other command?

If part of the config got loaded and then you got the error about 10.10.10.1 it is quite possible that the 10.10.10.1 is something that is in the config file being transferred. Can you look into the file on the TFTP server and see if that address is in the config somewhere?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mystrwizard
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for the help. After changing the enthernet 0 port from 10.10.10.1 to its 192 number, I was able to upload the original config file and we are back to square one with email but now to the whole reason I did this. Here is the problem we were having before the Cisco mess.

From outside our network we can access our website which we are hosting behind the Cisco router here. But, if we type in the www. address from inside the network, the window pops up for accessing the router to put in the user name and password. Bottom line, it seems like when we type in the url, it does not get outside the network to then come back in and allow us to our own website.

Jim

I am guessing that the router config may include some network address translation. I am guessing that when people outside access your web site the name that they use gets resolved to some IP address. And when their packets get to the router the destination address gets translated to something. I guess that when you attempt to access the seb site the address that you use is (or gets translated) an address that is one of the interfaces on the router.

We would have an easier time identifying your problem and finding a solution if you would post the configuration of the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Well, again since being new at this, Im a bit uncomfortable sending the config file to this public forum. Is there a way to "sanitize" it or what informaion needs to be removed to be safe for public. I know, stupid question.

Jim

I do not think it is a stupid question. When you post to a public forum like this, all kinds of people will see what you post. It is wise to want to protect yourself.

I would suggest that as a starting point that you replace any passwords with "" (or some silimar string which shows us what passwords were configured but disguises the actual password).

I would suggest that you disguise any IP addresses that are in public address space (I believe that addresses in private space do not need to be disguised). Some people post configs with the address blanked out but I find this is sometimes counter-productive. I would suggest that you change the first octet of any public address in your config, and be careful that the first octet still shows whether this was class A, class B or class C address space. If you disguise the first octet then if the second, third, and fourth octet are the same as your config we will not have any real idea where you are, but there are valuable indications of what subnetting is being done, and perhaps other things that may be helpful.

I believe that it is probably sufficient to disguise any passwords and disguise any public IP addresses. If you look through your config and find other things that concern you (perhaps there are comments on interfaces about what they connect to that you do not want to become public) feel free to remove or to alter/disguise them.

And if you are really nervous about posting config details on the forum, you can email them to me privately. My email address is available through my forum profile. Some other forum contributors also make their email addresses available through their forum profile.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you so much, I will upload it tomorrow. For some reason, we now have access again to website and FTP from the outside world which is back to the beginning what was working but, I still want to let others see it to see if we can fix the one other problem which is if you are inside the network, on the 192.x.x.x. side, and you put in the URL for the website using I.E. or something, the router window pops up asking for the user name and password like we are trying to access the router. Anyhow, I look forward to hearing from the experts on this wierd problem. It has been a learning experience and I can say Im finally getting a grasp on the wonderful world of Cisco IOS. Even though its only the little Cisco 831.

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi!

The simplest way to configure a router

1)connect the router through console/hyperterminal.

2)type 'config t'

3)Open the start-config with notepad

4)Copy the contents

5)paste the contents to hyperterminal

6)type 'wr'

7)give a smile and 'reload'

Thats it.If the config was from the same router, it will start functioning

Regards

JD

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card