cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a 2940 as a extremely simple switch/hub?

ermenbarnett
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am trying to find out if its possible to use an existing CISCO 2940 Switch that we have here at our office as a hub?  Im sure that borders on insane however, let me break down what we have currently and what I'd like to do.

We currently have a very nice setup here at work, with no problems whatsoever, however; we hired a new person and brought in some new printers and we are running out of wall jacks.  Rather then run all new cabling and adding new outlets/faceplates etc... We were just gonna go purchase a simple Netgear 5 port switch/hub from the Local Comp store here in town.  We found in our server room a what appears to fully functional and operational cisco 2940 8 Port Switch with a Gigabit port. 

All IPs in the office are assigned via DHCP, so....on to the meat of my question -- I tried to plug this into our network and I can't get any connectivity out at all. All the ports light up green etc when I plug in the comps but they aren't pulling valid IPs. 

I want to reset this thing and start from the ground up, I am not scared of going into the IOS and modifying what needs to be done...as long as I got a good enough walk through =) 

Before I do that however, I wanna make sure that what I am envisioning is possible....

Respectfully,

Ermen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the NetGear device you're talking about is a switch not a hub as these devices are not produced anymore so the Cisco device is the same type of device which is manageable unlike the Netgear device you wanted to buy( I suppose not knowing the model number).

If you want to insert the Cisco you should set it to default before inserting it:

-plug a blue console cable in the console plug and connect other side to a PC

-open a teminal emulator like Putty

- connect to the switch and type enable to enter privileged mode

- erase the vlan database: erase vlan.dat

- erase the startup config: wr erase

-reload the switch: reload

Then you should be good to go.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the NetGear device you're talking about is a switch not a hub as these devices are not produced anymore so the Cisco device is the same type of device which is manageable unlike the Netgear device you wanted to buy( I suppose not knowing the model number).

If you want to insert the Cisco you should set it to default before inserting it:

-plug a blue console cable in the console plug and connect other side to a PC

-open a teminal emulator like Putty

- connect to the switch and type enable to enter privileged mode

- erase the vlan database: erase vlan.dat

- erase the startup config: wr erase

-reload the switch: reload

Then you should be good to go.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

If you reset all the ports to Vlan1- it should work. We have couple of small offices where users space got 2 Network ports only,  so we placed small switch (not 2940 though) for PC/Printer and 2nd port for Phone. No issues so far (except the cheap switches break sometime) :-).

hth

MS

Thank you very much for the responses!

I consoled in and did as instructed however when I plugged in from the wall outlet to any of the ethernet ports on the front 2 things didn't happen.

#1 the Link light doesnt turn on ... Not amber .... not Green ... nothing

#2 Still no connectivity

Do I need to enable one of these ports as a uplink port?

Respectfully,

Ermen

Let's try this way.

Connect the 2940 directly to your other switch.  Use a CROSS-OVER cable. 

Ok,

Heres a bit of an update.

I was using a cross-over and still wasn't getting anything, which then lead to me removing the faceplate.  #2 and #3 weren't hooked up, I re spliced the wires, connected them, tucked in the excess, and then remade the connection...

WHAMO.

Up and running!

Tyvm All, I appreciate it highly!

Ermen

Remember to set the ports to trunk. Whenever you connect two like devices, in this case a switch to another switch, use a crossover cable and make sure the ports are configured to trunk.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card