Views
Helpful
Replies

Video traffic

Jimmy_CBSA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Please, do you know what is the latency for video traffic on Cisco 2960 x switches? I'm interested to install this model into a CCTV network, where the video traffic can be an issue if the latency is bigger than 8ns.

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

Hello,

latency depends on switch load, CPU, and memory utilization. Typically, you configure QoS for delay sensitive traffic such as voice and video.

Auto QoS is usually sufficient:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/qos/configuration_guide/b_qos_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_qos_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_011.html

Hi Georg,

Let's say I configured the optimal QoS for video traffic the latency can be less than 8ns? For me optimal QoS for video is where I have PTZ cam's and 5 MP cam's which are eating a lot of bandwidth... Do you know what cisco switch is suitable to work properly in CCTV with high video traffic?

Thx,

Jimmy

Hello,

the 2960x is fine for video. As stated, some sort of QoS is recommende, where auto qos is the easiest to configure and usually sufficient...

in addition to the advice in other posts

if this situation means concentrating multiple camera's to a cctv recorder, then you can dedicate a separate switch to cctv equipment.

this because QoS splits the switch resources into multiple smaller(!)  queues, 

I would suggest to NOT configure QoS within this cctv switch but on the connected switch where data leaves the cctv switch.

so data to workstations on the normal network that view this streams is regulated by QoS.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
A latency requirement for CCTV of not more than 8ns (nano seconds, correct?), really? About 8 feet of wire will create that much latency. Are you sure about this?

Usually CCTV is treated like streaming video, where even multi-second latency isn't often considered detrimental. Normally you worry much more about possible packet loss. On that issue, the 2960 series tend to have little in buffer resources, so a burst of video's bandwidth consumption (often caused by motion seen by the camera) might encounter packet drop.

Yep, sorry it's miliseconds "ms".

Thank you Joseph.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card