Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN administratively down

haydn.tickner5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have been tasked with removing some VLAN no longer used, I had set this administratively down which is shown in sh ip int brief command. But when I do sh vlan it says that the status is active?

What's the reasoning behind this? to note this switch is also running EIGRP. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Sounds like your refering to the L2 vlan when you say its still active

The SVI interface for the same vlan is layer 3 and this you can shut down manually.

I am assuming you have access port or trunk port assinged to this vlan hence why it still shows active.

int vlan10
no shut

sh vlan brief
10    VLAN0010                         active

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

Sounds like your refering to the L2 vlan when you say its still active

The SVI interface for the same vlan is layer 3 and this you can shut down manually.

I am assuming you have access port or trunk port assinged to this vlan hence why it still shows active.

int vlan10
no shut

sh vlan brief
10    VLAN0010                         active

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

When you run the show vlan command this is showing the Layer-2 status of the VLAN. You would also need to add the state suspend and shutdown commands within the vlan context. For example:

!
vlan 11
  state suspend
  shutdown
!

This will then show as "sus/lshut" (suspended / locally shut) when you run the show vlan command and will disable spanning tree instances for the VLAN.

Regards

haydn.tickner5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply, that is exactly what I have set up so the port is a trunk port assigned to the Vlan.

Thanks for this. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card