cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan between three sites

johnnyD
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys I have been away for quite some time so I can be called novice at least right now. 

I wanted to connect three different sites in the same vlan is that possible? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can still achieve the same thing even if each site is in a different vlan and you route between all of them.  If you are thinking that routing can slow down storage access, that is not the case anymore as most routers and switches are capable of forwarding traffic in hardware.  As long as you have high bandwidth connections between all 3 sites, accessing storage should not be an issue.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the provider you are using support VPLS, you can put all 3 sites in the same vlan.

see link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SY/configuration/guide/sy_swcg/vpls.html#56679

HTH

What I was thinking was the following, instead of using online cloud options I wanted to have everyone connected to the vlan to be to save on a certain storage server and also restrict them like using microsoft active directory. So actually I want to be able to administer all users in all three sites (different countries) remotely. Using active directory but having them all in the same network/vlan so that all can connect to each other and share information and files avoiding to use online third party storage for massive (TBs of files) corporate sharing.

You can still achieve the same thing even if each site is in a different vlan and you route between all of them.  If you are thinking that routing can slow down storage access, that is not the case anymore as most routers and switches are capable of forwarding traffic in hardware.  As long as you have high bandwidth connections between all 3 sites, accessing storage should not be an issue.

HTH

the bandwidth being 50/50 is pretty much ok and if it's working for let's say google drive it should be sufficient for this as well. But would a single server, for example Site A would be able to manage the active directory for the vlan in Site B without having to add another server to Site B and C?

So, it really depends on the type of server you install. If you have a pretty beefy server with lots of memory, multiple CPUs and multiple cores per CPU, it can possibly handle it. It is hard to tell without knowing the environment and the applications. You should not compare it with google drive as that is all cloud base and I am sure they use load balancers to handle their traffic.

Also, I am not sure what you mean when you say "A would be able to manage the active directory for the vlan in Site B" vlan and active directory are 2 different things.  AD doesn't care about vlans.  AD is one or multiple servers with AD applications and for authentication.

HTH   

handle is the wrong word, I was wondering if it would work over a different vlan say the server is located on "Site A"
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card