cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Bridging

Amaya
Level 1
Level 1

I am faced with a situation, I have a switch that has a /24.  The mgmt. IP for the switch is .21 as example (10.0.0.0/24 -- 10.0.0.21 SVI -- Default Gateway 10.0.0.254 which resides upstream on a next hop router.  My switch is layer-3 with an IP route 0/0 10.0.0.254.  

We have a couple of Cisco Fire Power 1140's that are coming into play, the idea is to send the internal traffic out an interface g1/0/1 to FP 1 and g1/0/2 to FP2 (Standby).  These two ports will be on vlan 21 as an example.  The FP's second port will connect to our same switch on G1/0/46 (FP1) and G1/0/47 (FP2) and the outside facing port will be G1/0/48.  G1/0/46-48 will be on a separate VLAN such as 69.  

The scenario works and all clients work except for the switch SVI, when I do a show IP ARP, I get an incomplete.  With the configuration I configured a layer-3 SVI for VLAN 21 without an IP address.  Bouncing the SVI works temporarily but seems to fail after a certain time.

Thank you,

6 Replies 6

Config mode as transparent and it will work.

Thanks MHM, just checked and the switch is running in VTP transparent mode.

You want to bridge traffic via FPR ? If yes you need to config fpr as transparent mode.

Thank you for the clarification, checking with the security team now.  

Response from the team: (We are using inline sets which is an IPS specific feature) supposedly, this joins two interfaces at layer-2.  

Amaya
Level 1
Level 1

Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 49
SWITCH100# show vtp status
VTP Version capable             : 1 to 3
VTP version running             : 1
VTP Domain Name                 : 
VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled
Device ID                       : boozcf1.f2c3.c500
Configuration last modified by 10.207.201.129 at 0-0-00 00:00:00