cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Configuration - How did I get here :)

Don2001L
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have a old 2924XL setup with a pair of routers in a LAB to learn and test with.
I have a couple of VLAN created to segregate traffic on switch but there are a couple of things that I don't understand about how this configuration Got there ...

This is what is setup - 

Core_LAN#show vlan brief
VLAN Name Status Ports ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12, Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa0/21, Fa0/22
20 VLAN0020 active
100 VLAN0100 active
200 VLAN0200 active Fa0/23, Fa0/24
300 VLAN0300 active Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20

show run only displays 2 of them ? 

interface VLAN1
ip address xx.xx.xx.xx 255.0.0.0
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
!
interface VLAN300
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
shutdown

1 - 200 - 300 are active and in use / passing traffic. 
First thing I don't understand is - Where is 200 ?

Second - is 300 = shutdown - because VLAN1 is the active management VLAN ( and this is the Normal state of affairs ) 

Thank you for humoring me, 
Don

Humanoid
33 Replies 33

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are 2 things you need to understand related to VLAN

Layer 2 VLAN and Layer 3 VLAN

Layer 2 VLAN, you just create VLAN and allocate port that VLAN, so that is Layer 2 broadcast for those ports belong to VLAN

Layer 3 VLAN - you create a interface vlan 200 ( allocate IP address for that Layer 3 ) for that vlan as gateway

if you looking to communicate between vlan you need to have Layer 3 interface vlan, so you can have device in vlan 200 can communicate with vlan 300 using routing table,

First thing I don't understand is - Where is 200 ?  You need to create vlan 200 interface to appear in the config and usable.

there is good video explain all information to get better idea :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC2-4ZrKwZE

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Don2001L
Level 1
Level 1

Hello BB, 

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. 

Yes indeed these are layer 2 VLAN's - the Routers will be routing between VLAN's * Later* 
For now I'm just trying to understand why thing look a bit different than I expect. 

VLAN 200 has been created and is in use to segregate LAN to WAN traffic between two unmanageable devices so I can get performance statistics on that traffic. 

#show vlan brief | include 200

#show vlan name VLAN0200
VLAN Name Status Ports ---- -------------------------------- --------- ------------------------------- 200 VLAN0200 active Fa0/23, Fa0/24
VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2 ---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------ 200 enet 100200 1500 - - - - - 0 0

Thanks again, 
Don

Humanoid

Make sure you you have trunk config which allow all the VLAN towards Router and Router need to be configure router on stick  - ip routing required  between vlan.

let us know any further assitance required.

BB

Don2001L
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

So any idea why I see all the VLAN's from the command line

show vlan brief
VLAN Name Status Ports ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12, Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa0/21, Fa0/22
20 VLAN0020 active
100 VLAN0100 active
300 VLAN0300 active Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20

and UI 

Don2001L_0-1678210574869.png

But they do  not appear in when I issue s show run or show startup 

#show startup-config | include vlan
switchport access vlan 300
switchport access vlan 200
switchport access vlan 200

snmp-server enable traps vlan-membership
snmp-server host XX.XX.XX.XX trap public tty vlan-membership config c2900 vtp snmp
snmp-server host XX.XX.XX.XX trap public tty vlan-membership config c2900 vtp snmp

#show startup-config | include VLAN
description 20-Net_VLAN_300
description WAN-VLAN_200
description WAN-VLAN_200
interface VLAN1 interface VLAN300

Core_LAN#show run | include VLAN
description WAN-VLAN_200
description WAN-VLAN_200
interface VLAN1
interface VLAN300

Thank again, 
Don

Humanoid

So any idea why I see all the VLAN's from the command line  - not what you mean ?

VLAN 1 dfault in cisco that come with device

Looks like 20,100,200,300 you created

rest 10XX vlan will be default vlan come with device.

issue show vlan (cli you see all the vlans.)

BB

Don

In your original post you show output of show vlan brief which shows that there are 5 layer 2 vlans and that 3 of them have ports assigned to the vlan. Then you show the configuration of layer 3 vlan interfaces for 2 vlans. Then you ask "First thing I don't understand is - Where is 200" Pretty clearly you did not configure the layer 3 vlan interface for vlan 200.  It is important to distinguish when you are looking at layer 2 aspects of a vlan or are looking at layer 3 aspects of the vlan. vlan 200 appears to be configured for layer 2 but not for layer 3.

In a later post you show output that includes the 5 vlans and then show output from show run/startup that only has statements for 2 vlans and ask what about the other vlans. The explanation is that you do have configuration statements assigning ports to vlans 200 and 300, but no configuration statements that mention vlan 1 or 20 or 100.

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick, 

Thank you for reading and replying, 

The question remains - Why don't I see the VLAN0200 / 200  configuration information when I capture the configuration ( A La Cisco works ) or when I execute show run / show startup ? 

Below is the Captured ( downloaded ) configuration
Running on the left - startup on the right.  

Don2001L_1-1678218954480.png

If the real answer is " It's Old code"  - I'll take it 
IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.3)WC(1), MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE

thanks

Don

Humanoid

You need to understand running config vs startup config here.

the different you see always running vs startup ( until you write the config)

running config will be current running config on the device, if you reload with out writing the config to device, the config will be lost, and only Device will be used startup config.

so use write command so you can see both the config looks same.

BB

Hello BB , 

Sorry to confuse the issue by posting an image of a Run and Start configuration that were not Synced -  the Idea was to Again Illustrate that the VLAN0200 / 200 Is not listed in the Running Or Startup  configuration. 

Which was my original question...

The Second question being why the 300 - VLAN0300  has a Shutdown command / state in its configuration - 
I was looking for confirmation that it was because VLAN 1 ( the default Management VLAN ) was the Active Management VLAN. 
( But I think I have answered that question myself ) 
As it would seem if I wanted to - it could be changed - 

Don2001L_0-1678220970563.png

Thanks, 

Don

Humanoid

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.3)WC(1),

Honestly lost track of this discussion.

12.0 is old code as I remember we need to get in to vlan database and create vlan old days, ay 15years back.

below guide help you :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/vlan/10023-3.html

Note: I see some replies, so not gone through all if any one addressed this already.

BB

Don

You are welcome. Yes the answer is old code (on an old machine). On old Catalyst switches much of the vlan config was stored in the vlan data base and not in running/startup config. That is where vlan 200 is. If you assign ports to the vlan or configure a L3 vlan interface those are in running/startup config. But the basic vlan config is not.

HTH

Rick

Thank Rick, 

Very Odd as they were both added via the Java UI, but that's old code for you

Don. 

Humanoid

Don

In your recent response you say "Very Odd as they were both added via the Java UI,". Which both are you referring to?

also you mention "The Second question being why the 300 - VLAN0300 has a Shutdown command / state in its configuration". The vast majority of the time an interface has shutdown because someone manually entered the shutdown command. I have seen (very) few situations where a configuration command created a problem situation and IOS generated a shutdown for the interface. My suggestion is to manually configure no shut on the interface and see what happens. I predict the interface will no longer be shutdown. If not we have a very interesting issue to investigate.

HTH

Rick

Hi, 

By Both I mean that VLAN0200 and VLAN0300 were created the same way e.g. using the JAVA configuration tool to create and assign ports to each of them - quite some time elapsed between the creation of one and the other.

From a unix system on *network* A 
I can ping Router 1's Interface on Network A
I can ping Router 1's Interface on Network B
Network B exists between two routers and they Interconnect via ports that are members of VLAN0300 on the Switch which is the topic on this thread. 
I can ping Router 2's Interface on Network B 

I would seem that I cannot trust what I see in the show run / captured configuration

Don

Humanoid
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card