cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Configuration

bkpalermo
Level 1
Level 1

I am a volunteer at a small non-profit. We want to establish a network that provides staff with wired and wireless access and guest wireless access.  The equipment currently in place is a DSL modem, a Cisco SG200-18 and four Cisco WAP121 wireless access points.  The modm is pretty limited in its functionality.  I think I still need a router that can handle DHCP and VLANs in place between the modem and switch but am not sure what to get. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

pearl2468
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Palermo,

When you say DSL modem , I think it is a WIFI modem . Please correct me if i am wrong.

If you requirement is to configure multiple vlans and if there should be communication between two vlans then you have below two options. Also any of the below will handle your DHCP too.

1. Router with Layer 2 switch   .. say for example 800 series router  for small business
  2. L3 switch only.. Say for example 300 series for small business.

Regards,

P

It is a wifi modem but wireless is turned off because of its location (not good coverage).  The current switch is a SG200-26P, not the -18 I listed originally. I found a Linksys router that seems to have what I need, the LRT214.  Funding is limited, so I'm trying to keep the cost down.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card